In CPT (2010 Professional) on page 52, the description for follow up care for therapeutic surgical procedures indicates complications should be reported separately. However, in the Medicare Global Surgical Package, it states complications are included in the global surgical package and cannot be reported separately (see http://www.cms.hhs.gov/manuals/downloads/clm104c12.pdf, section 40):
From the manual: "Complications Following Surgery - All additional medical or surgical services required of the surgeon during the postoperative period of the surgery because of complications which do not require additional trips to the operating room"
What this means is, reporting of complications for surgical cases will likely depend upon the individual payer rules.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join