Billing 90862 for a Medicaid patient

1. Default Billing 90862 for a Medicaid patient
    Medical Coding Books
    Is there an alternate code for 90862 that Medicaid will accept? I received a denial today, stating that they do not recognize it on their fee schedule.

Thanks,

Maria, CPC-A

Default What was done?
    Need more information on what was done to answer the question. Could be an E/M code, psychotherapy if the "minimal" amt of time was sufficient to use that code, etc.

What state are you in? NY Medicaid has recognized that code for a long time.

Hawaii Medicaid also accepts 90862. I wonder if they are denying you because of frequency limits or the diagnosis not supporting medical necessity. In Hawaii, a patient is allowed only 12 in a given year.
    Donna E. Young, CPC

4. Default re: what was done
    Hi,

I'm in PA. 90862 was the only thing done on that date of service; Dr. saw patient at a nursing home.

-Maria

Quote Originally Posted by mariak81586 View Post
    Is there an alternate code for 90862 that Medicaid will accept? I received a denial today, stating that they do not recognize it on their fee schedule.

Thanks,

Maria, CPC-A
    Hello, If the patient has only medicad insurance. I suggest that using 90899 - unlisted pyschiatric service or procedure that the medicad or medi- cal will accept the service bill.

6. Default
    Isn't there a HCPCS code equivalent to 90862??

7. Default
    Medicaid of GA wants M0064. The physicians services manual states the following under Physician Services Limitations:

"When the sole purpose of the visit is to monitor or change
    psychiatric medication, only code M0064 shall be billed"

Quote Originally Posted by mariak81586 View Post
    Hi,

I'm in PA. 90862 was the only thing done on that date of service; Dr. saw patient at a nursing home.

-Maria
    Are you sure that MA isn't denying because POS?