The CPT code descriptor does not indicate "up to" it is
"each 15 minutes"
The transmittal below indicates that a single unit should
represent total time = to or > than 8 minutes
(i.e. 1 unit represents 8 thru 22 minutes)
To get the second unit it appears that time would need
to be = or > 23 minutes total.
A CPT Assistant from December 2003 indicates:
"a substantial portion of 15 minutes must be spent in performing
pre-, intra-, and post-service work".....If only a few minutes
are spent performing the manual therapy technique, either
the code should not be reported, or append mod -52.
CMS Transmittal 1019, Aug 3, 2006; Change Request 5253
Hope this helps,
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join