Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

When 3 components are not met for an initial admit

  1. Default When 3 components are not met for an initial admit
    Medical Coding Books
    I have a question regarding how to bill when 3 components are required to bill but one of the components do not meet. There is an initial hospital care that needs to be coded but there is the physician only did an expanded problem focused exam. 99221 requires at least a detailed exam. Should this be billed with the 52 modifier?

  2. Default
    if is not documentated, it was not done. I was instructed my a recent auditor hired to do a external audit, that if you do not have all the elements required then you do not get to bill it. I have always been told modifier 52 is for procedures, modifier 52 is not an E/M modifier.

    Did the doctor see the patient in the office and then see the patient in the hospital (same day)? If so, you can combine the two visits and sometimes get a higher level code.

    "When the patient is admitted to the hospital as an inpatient in the course of an encounter in another site of service (eg, hospital emergency department, observation status in a hospital, physician's office, nursing facility) all evaluation and management services provided by that physician in conjunction with that admission are considered part of the initial hospital care when performed on the same date as the admission. The inpatient care level of service reported by the admitting physician should include the services related to the admission he/she provided in the other sites of service as well as in the inpatient setting."-CPT book

  3. Default
    If all components are not met, I've heard of using 99499 which is an E/M unlisted code for that type of situation.

  4. #4
    Default
    Check with your carrier, or patients health insurance carrier in this case, see how they want you to handle this case, this has happened to our practice in the past and we were told to bill it as subsequent hospital care to the level the note coded out to. But as I said that was the patients carrier telling us that.

    Good luck,

    Roxanne Thames, CPC



    Quote Originally Posted by 1storm View Post
    I have a question regarding how to bill when 3 components are required to bill but one of the components do not meet. There is an initial hospital care that needs to be coded but there is the physician only did an expanded problem focused exam. 99221 requires at least a detailed exam. Should this be billed with the 52 modifier?

  5. #5
    Default
    I do not see how you can bill for anything that is deemed to be subsequent when this is actually for an "initial" admit.

    I would say that it is non-billable if all 3 required components are not satisfied.
    And then educate your physicians!

    Susan Rarick, CPC


    Quote Originally Posted by rthames052006 View Post
    Check with your carrier, or patients health insurance carrier in this case, see how they want you to handle this case, this has happened to our practice in the past and we were told to bill it as subsequent hospital care to the level the note coded out to. But as I said that was the patients carrier telling us that.

    Good luck,

    Roxanne Thames, CPC

  6. Default
    I had heard this also in a conference I attended, but when I was audited recently and I asked her about it, I was told that it is non billable and the phyisician probably needs to educated on this. Her explanation was the visit is not subsquent so you can bill as a subsq code. I don't know if this helps or not. If it is Medicare, Medicaid, Tricare, or other gov carrier, I would definitely not bill as subsq. If ever audited, this may be a problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by rthames052006 View Post
    Check with your carrier, or patients health insurance carrier in this case, see how they want you to handle this case, this has happened to our practice in the past and we were told to bill it as subsequent hospital care to the level the note coded out to. But as I said that was the patients carrier telling us that.

    Good luck,

    Roxanne Thames, CPC

  7. #7
    Location
    north seattle wa
    Posts
    103
    Default 99499
    I keep seeing this issue come up. According to Medicare 99499 is NOT to be used to fill the gap between two level of E&M service within a category or subcategory.
    Medicare B news Issue 237 May 29 2007 states
    " CPT code 99499 NEVER to be used to interpolate between two levels of E/M service within a category or subcategory. Rather the next lower code for which ALL criteria are met is the appropriate choice"
    When talking about "admiting a patient to inpatient status from observation subsequent to the date of admission to observation, the physician must bill an intial hospital visit for the services provided on that date"
    #2 If criteria for even a 99221 "inpatient admission" are not met, but a service was necessary, and all of the required componenets performed and appropriately documented meet criteria for a "subsequent Visit" (99231-99233) then that level of service is appropriate for billing and payment (even though the service is chronilogically an "admission")

    Consults are also billed as the level of service the meet.

    This is in the Medicare Claims Processing Manual, IOM 100-04 Chapter 12-Physician/Practioner Billing, 30.6.1.
    Hope this helps clear up some confusion.

    Wendy

  8. #8
    Default
    [
    I don't know if you really read my post, I said that, the particular insurance carrier told us how they wanted it billed in this scenerio... I didn't say to bill it that way to ALL CARRIERS.... and I also stated to CHECK WITH THE PT'S INSURANCE CARRIER FOR CLARIFICATION!!!

    Roxanne Thames, CPC





    QUOTE=srarick;8696]I do not see how you can bill for anything that is deemed to be subsequent when this is actually for an "initial" admit.

    I would say that it is non-billable if all 3 required components are not satisfied.
    And then educate your physicians!

    Susan Rarick, CPC[/QUOTE]

  9. #9
    Default
    Thanks Wendy for the information....


    Roxanne Thames, CPC




    Quote Originally Posted by Cottrell View Post
    I keep seeing this issue come up. According to Medicare 99499 is NOT to be used to fill the gap between two level of E&M service within a category or subcategory.
    Medicare B news Issue 237 May 29 2007 states
    " CPT code 99499 NEVER to be used to interpolate between two levels of E/M service within a category or subcategory. Rather the next lower code for which ALL criteria are met is the appropriate choice"
    When talking about "admiting a patient to inpatient status from observation subsequent to the date of admission to observation, the physician must bill an intial hospital visit for the services provided on that date"
    #2 If criteria for even a 99221 "inpatient admission" are not met, but a service was necessary, and all of the required componenets performed and appropriately documented meet criteria for a "subsequent Visit" (99231-99233) then that level of service is appropriate for billing and payment (even though the service is chronilogically an "admission")

    Consults are also billed as the level of service the meet.

    This is in the Medicare Claims Processing Manual, IOM 100-04 Chapter 12-Physician/Practioner Billing, 30.6.1.
    Hope this helps clear up some confusion.

    Wendy

  10. #10
    Default
    I didn't mean that to be directed at you as an attack on your knowledge/opinion. I was just stating that I did not agree with what the carrier advised you to do. (I did read your post) It was not my intent to upset anybody.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. When criteria is not met for a consult?
    By AmandaW in forum E/M
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-09-2014, 01:26 PM
  2. Preventative not met
    By sparkles1077 in forum Family Practice
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-08-2014, 12:02 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-02-2012, 07:52 AM
  4. trans met amp?
    By PLAIDMAN in forum Podiatry
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-27-2011, 02:02 PM
  5. Exam portion when 3 out 3 must me met
    By Mklaubauf in forum E/M
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-14-2009, 03:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Enjoying Our Forums?

AAPC forums are a benefit of membership. Joining AAPC grants you unlimited access, allowing you to post questions and participate with our community of over 150,000 professionals.

Join Now Continue Reading Without Full Access

Already a Member?

Login

Close Message

In addition to full participation on AAPC forums, as a member you will be able to:

  • Access to the largest healthcare job database in the world.
  • Join over 150,000 members of the healthcare network in the world.
  • Be a part of an industry leading organization that drives the business side of healthcare.
  • Save anywhere from 10%-50% with exclusive member discounts on courses, books, study materials, and conferences.
  • Access to discounts at hundreds of restaurants, travel destinations, retail stores, and service providers. AAPC members also have opportunities to save on heath, life, and liability insurance.
  • Become a member of a local chapter and attend regular meetings.