AAPC - Back to school

Thread: iv placement for contrast

Default iv placement for contrast

AAPC: Back to School
    Need help find a code for this scenario-

Patient is having a CT w/ contrast at an out patient facility. Patient is terrified of needles so came to our office (PCP) and had the IV access put in place. Patient left our office with IV access in place and 1 liter of saline flowing.

We don't typically do this so I am not familiar with the codes for this type of service. From what I have read, it seems like the placement of IV access and contrast is bundled in the procedure (CT) and is not billable separately..since we are not doing the CT, is there a way for our office to get paid for the service they provided???

I am not 100% on this but just going on my "gut" feeling. It would seem to me that you can code for the 36000 for placement being it was done in your office and not at the site of the procedure (contract CT). Like I said, I am not 100% but that is what I am thinking I hope I did not cause more confusion.

That is one of the codes that I was considering... would you assign it with the diagnosis code for the scan? and bill the J code for the saline?

Default iv placement for contrast

Wouldn't it be up to the outpatient facility to code the CT with -52 modifier for reduced services as the IV access was placed in your office?

Quote Originally Posted by DeLudeBar View Post
    Wouldn't it be up to the outpatient facility to code the CT with -52 modifier for reduced services as the IV access was placed in your office?
    I don't think so. I believe if the doctors office did the heplock, they should get payment for it. In your senario, they wouldn't get anything.