These codes are Inpatient Hospital, Partial Hospital or Residential Care Facility codes. The place of service should be one of the above. These are also time based codes - so time must be documented. The technique should also be documented (insight oriented, behavior modifying, or supportive psychotherapy).
90817, 90819 & 90822 also includes a medical evaluation & management service. That involves a variety of responsibilities unique to the medical management of psychiatric patients, such as medical diagnostic evaluation (eg, evaluation of comorbid medical conditions, drug interactions, and physical examinations), drug mangement when indicated, physician orders, interpretation of laboratory or other medical diagnostic studies and observations.
So, to answer your question JUST a complete mental status exam would not suffice. I hope this helps?
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join