Patient comes in for office visit and decision made patient needs surgery - Code the appropriate level office visit as per documentation and whether patient is new or established
Patient sent to pre-admit and labs that day and told to return day of surgery - There is no separate code of this service ... you will include all the E/M provided on this date of service into the level of office visit you code.
On day of surgery patient reports to clinic and is sent straight up to surgery - You code ONLY the procedure performed. The reimbursement for the procedure already includes the necessary pre-operative evaluation of the patient. The doctor is ALREADY BEING PAID for this service and should not separately code it.
The only time you would code an initial hospital visit on the date of (or date immediately prior to) surgery is when that is the first encounter for this problem and the decision for surgery was made at that encounter. You would then append the -57 modifier.
Hope that helps.
F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join