AAPC - Back to school
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Diagnosis for new patient

Milwaukee WI

Default This was preventive ... BUT

AAPC: Back to School
    This was definitely a preventive visit ... also you gave a flu shot, so face-to-face service WAS provided.

That being said, I'd like to weigh in on whether a "meet & greet" means ALL future visits are established.

There are, in fact, reasons why patients want the "meet & greet." For example ... they're employed by a large corporation that has employees in many states. They've just moved to your city and need to find a new doctor. They have the same insurance, and just had their annual physical three months ago. They have no complaints, but want to make sure they have a doctor to go to if they DO get sick before their next physical is due.

ALL you really need for this visit is for the patient to complete some forms to allow for a transfer of medical records from previous physician. If you want them to fill out a new patient history questionaire, fine. But there's no real reason to meet the doctor for anything but a quick "pleased to meet you" 5-minutes or less in the doctor's office - NOT an exam room.

That's what I mean when I think of a "meet & greet" ... and I wouldn't code such a meeting as a face-to-face service.

For this kind of patient ... the first time the patient actually came to me for either a preventive exam or a sick visit the appropriate "new patient" code would be used.

Just my opinion.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

This patient was just coming to establish, sometimes we feel it is better for a patient to establish before they are having a problem. It can be hard some days to fit a new pt visit in when they are ill, that same day. They didn't realize it would be a problem if they didn't have a problem at the time. Honestly, we didn't foresee that either, because most people have some problem that you can discuss. Once in awhile, they have none. So, you think we shouldn't see a pt to establish if they have no issues at the time?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12