help with a code

Default help with a code
    Exam Training Packages
    What ICD-9 code would you use for "adrenal mass"?

Thanks

239.7 for unspecified, or 227.0 benign (if known)

3. Default
    As directed in the ICD-9 Volume 2 Index under "Mass" under "specified organ NEC - see Disease of specified organ or site". Under "Disease" "adrenal (gland) (capsule) (cortex)" code 255.9 is listed.

Smile
    I agree with the one respondent that said go to Disease, Adrenal, etc., but I would rather use 255.8, Other specified disorders of adrenal glands. In my thinking, it's not an unspecified disorder - it is a mass. I personally feel more comfortable using this code, rather than unspecified. That's my 2 cents worth.

Quote Originally Posted by EllieAnn View Post
    239.7 for unspecified, or 227.0 benign (if known)
    If you look to the coding clinics on this you ill see that the unspecified neoplasm codes are to be used after a preliminary diagnostic study has been done which then reveals a dx of a tumor. This can then be coded as an unspecified neoplasm until more definitive studies can detail the morphology. In other words after the preliminary study ( like a CT scan) the physician now knows it is not a cyst or an abscess. You cannot of course use a benign dx with a path report that states benign. And you may not use Neoplasm uncertain behavior without a path report either. So in this instance the only possible choice is the 255.9 or 255.8.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

6. Default
    Can you please tell me if CPT code 10120 is acceptable to use for fishhook removal.
    Also, can a 52 modifier be used when a foreign body is removed without an incision?
    mquinlan@infinityhealthcare.com

I totally agree with Debra. You only have a "mass".

Default No incision = E/M only
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    Can you please tell me if CPT code 10120 is acceptable to use for fishhook removal.
    Also, can a 52 modifier be used when a foreign body is removed without an incision?
    mquinlan@infinityhealthcare.com
    No incision equals an E/M service only.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

P.S.- You should really start a new thread when your question has nothing to do with the existing thread.

thanks for everyones thought.. I was considering the 255.8 and 255.9 myself, but had a co-worker that was going with the neoplasm thinking...thanks for the clarification!