AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Two surgeons doing skin graft on BURN patient

Milwaukee WI

Default Two surgeons doing skin graft on BURN patient

AAPC: Back to School
    Patient sustained burns over more than 50% of total body surface area.

Grafts required on left and right thighs, as well as anterior torso (groin to nipples).

This is a child, so to minimize anesthesia time and blood loss two surgeons operated at the same time ... one on the left and one on the right.

CPT 15100 and 15101 do not allow for a -62 modifier.

These two surgeons are of the same specialty and same practice.

Would you code 15100 and 15101 (x units) for each one based on the TBSA each covered and use the -77 modifier on one of them?

Obviously we'll be sending a letter of explanation and the operative reports from each surgeon, but I'd like to get the coding "right" the first time.

Thanks for your help!

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

Columbia, MO

I would not use the 77 since each surgeon did a different side then the same procedure is not repeated. The only way to do this in my opinion is to bill for each srgeon the same codes if thtat is the case and submit on the initial submission the letter of explanation. I might even use a 22 due to the age and extent of burn which will force the carrier to look for a letter of explanation.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

Similar Threads

1. Skin graft
    By RuthTab in forum Hematology/Oncology
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-24-2015, 08:35 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-28-2014, 11:37 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-29-2011, 01:50 PM
  4. Two surgeons doing skin graft on BURN patient
    By FTessaBartels in forum General Surgery