AAPC - Back to school

Thread: billing meds dispensed in urgent care

Default billing meds dispensed in urgent care

AAPC: Back to School
    Because our urgent care center is open after the local pharmacies close, we have lots of meds stored in our office for when we need to dispense a few tablets to the patient to hold them over until they can get their prescription filled at the pharmacy the next day. I'm having trouble finding an answer to the question, "can we bill for the meds we dispense?" there are numerous meds we dispense that I can not find in the HCPCS book so I assume we just use the generic "prescription medicine" code. BUT, I'm hearing that we can not bill for any meds at all unless we have a Pharmaceutical License to Dispense Medications. Is anyone familar with this?

Just curious these medications is your clinic paying for them or are they samples provided by the drug company? If they are samples given to you, then I have always been told you can not bill for them.

Columbia, MO

If you do not have a dispensing liscense then you cannot charge to give meds to a patient, nor for the meds that you give to take home.. most clinics/offices are liscensed to treat not to dispense meds, so you may charge for any meds that you administer at that encounter which is why you need to charge the administration codes.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

The meds we are dispensing are not samples from drug reps. Since I started this thread, I have determined that we would need the dispensing license as mentioned in above reply in order to bill for these meds. Thanx for responding.