The parenthetical remark under CPT 99366 states:
(Team conference services of less than 30 minutes duration are not reported separately.) (emphasis added by FTB)
That seems pretty clear to me. Less than 30 minutes = no charge.
In the guidelines, however, it does give you the option of using the other E/M codes (including basing level on time spent when > 50% is counseling /coordination of care). However , the physician must be directly involved with the patient, providing face-to-face services outside of the conferense visit with other providers or agencies. (emphasis added by FTB)
So, if your physician had a face-to-face E/M visit with patient prior to or after the team conference, then you can include the team conference in selecting your E/M level, basing everything on time, as long as more than 50% of the total time was spent in counseling/coordination of care.
Hope that helps.
F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join