Icd 9 code for infection due to external fixation device

Default Icd 9 code for infection due to external fixation device
    Exam Training Packages
    WOULD YOU USE THE CODE 996.67 OR ANOTHER CODE.

996.67 IS FOR INFECTION AND INFLAMMATORY REACTION DUE TO INTERNAL ORTHOPEDIC DEVICE, IMPLANT, AND GRAFT.

THE HEADING UNDER 996.6 STATES: DUE TO THE PRESENCE OF ANY DEVICE IMPLANT, AND GRAFT CLASSIFIABLE TO 996.0-996.5

996.4 INCLUDES EXTERNAL FIXATION DEVICE UTILIZING INTERNAL SCREWS PINS OR OTHER METHODS OF FIXATION.

OPINIONS.
    Tina Wosmek CPC, COSC

i thought all external devices were fixated using internal pins and screw so i would say go with 996.4

Yes, these were. It was not a mechanical failure though which is what the 996.4 group is for .
    I am just looking for agreement or disagreement I guess for using the 996.67 code. I can't really find anything definiative as to what to use the infection caused by the fixator.
    Tina Wosmek CPC, COSC

yes but if u look up infection due to device in the front it directs u to these codes

You may be reading it incorrectly. it states
    Infection
    due to or resulting from
    device, implant, or graft (any)(presence of)--see Complications,infections and inflammation, due to (presence of) anyu device, implant, or graft classified to 996.0-996.5 NEC

not to use 996.0-996.5

if you look under complications; infection and inflammation; due to any device, implant or graft classified to 996.0-996.5--it is further indented and you get options of the following:

joint prosthesis, internal-996.66
    orthopedic NEC-996.67
    orthopedic NEC-joint, internal-996.66

Which leads me to believe to use 996.67.
    Tina Wosmek CPC, COSC