Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

PT/INR Monitering

1. Smile PT/INR Monitering
    Exam Training Packages
    Hi Everyone,

I was looking in the coding book and found two codes for PT/INR monitering and ordering of medicines. They are 99363 and 99364. Has anyone every used this codes? If so can you please let me know how you go about billing this...

We are a cardiology practice who has about 100 patients on coumadin and we call them the previous day with orders from the doctor and then also call in coumadin medicine to pharmacy.

Please help in anyway.

Thanks,

Tina Loughary

These are for physician face to face with patient encounters. Medicare's unadjusted rate last year was $104 for the 99363 and 40 for the 99364. You need to read up on these to know how to use them. cliff notes version. The initial encounter to give the dx and order the coumadin is day 1 and 90 days from day 1 with a minimum of 8 PT/INR results on the chart you can bill a 99363 for a physician encounter. Then 90 days from that encounter with minimum of 3 PT/INR results you may bill a 99364 for a physician encounter, and then a 99364 for each 90 days after. If the therapy is stopped for any reason then when it is restarted that encounter is day 1 and the whole process begins again.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

3. Default
    We bill them as appropriate, what Debra said, is all true. But, (always a But), just because it is in the code book many insurance do NOT pay for them. aka Medicare does not cover. Yet, some do, you have to weigh if it is all worth it for you.

4. Default
    Hi Heather, Do you know what insurances will cover the 99363 and 64?

we bill 85610. hmo plans will not pay have to go to outside lab. other then that we get paid.

I have not had any problem with Medicare reimbursing for these codes are you getting a denial that states it is not covered?

mitchellde if you are asking me....

yes we get denials from bcbs hmo, oxford hmo. straight mcare does pay. denial is non covered service, must go to outside lab.

that is for the lab code, what about the 99363-4 I have never been denied by carrier. I have been asked for the documentation but have always received the reimbursement.

what's the differance between the 99393 99394 or using the 85610 beside reimbursment??? kinda new at cardiology coding and only know of the 85610.

the 85610 is for the lab and 99393-4 is the physician face to face with the patient.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast