I would only bill code 49002, reopening of laparotomy includes control of hemorrhage. The wound vac placement is billed with 97605, but my experience is you can't bill the initial placement of the wound vac when it's done at the same time as a major surgery. You will be able to bill for the wound vac replacements during the post op period. If your doctor, is doing them, and if the patient is not enrolled in a home health agency. Also the repair of the enterotomies are usually not billable.
Now for the modifier: use modifier 78
58 Staged- is for when the procedure is planned ahead of time
76 Repeat- is for when the exact same procedure code as the initial surgery will be billed.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join