AAPC - Back to school

Thread: scar neuroma injections

Question scar neuroma injections

AAPC: Back to School
    I have been struggling with this one lately myself. Recently had both an injection and a destruction by injuction and was not sure what to use. After reading the responses posted here, I still am not 100% sure what codes were the right ones. I believe the 64640 woud be correct for destruction, but is it the 64450 or the 11900 for the injection? If the 11900 code is correct that would indicate a lesion being injected which then makes me wonder if I should use 17000 and +17003 for the destruction? Very confusing I code surgical procedures for anesthesia and our pain clinic has just started doing these injections in peds in the OR, so I'm stumped. Thanks for any input that anyone has.

Orlando, FL

Default neuroma injection

From what I'm seeing, since you're addressing a nerve (neuroma), I think it would be the 64450 for the injection. The 11900 addresses a lesion but doesn't mention nerve. Also, the 17000 would not be correct as that is for pre-malignant lesions. I think the 64640 would be correct for destruction, 64450 for the injection. Hope that helps.

Thanks Kellie. That was my inclination, but just wanted some support in the decision to use those codes. I appreciate the input.

Similar Threads

1. RF for scar entrapment neuroma
    By modfrkt75 in forum Billing/Reimbursement
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-27-2014, 01:10 PM
  2. injection of neuroma
    By beatet66 in forum Anesthesia
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-10-2013, 07:32 PM
  3. another scar neuroma question
    By PEH350 in forum Anesthesia
    Replies: 3