Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

No Coding Jobs for inexperienced Coders

1. Default
    Medical Coding Books
    That is GREAT. I have been certified for 5 years and am also not being let in the door, maybe I will try the temp services, I never thought they would give you a chance. They always seem to want someone with 2-5 years experience and the only thing that I can put on for experience is what I learned in my coding classes, so that's what I put down. What else can I do? The Xtern's email address doesn't seem to be working.

S. Turner

I can't find a job anywhere either! I live in San Diego and you would think there would be someone hiring entry level with a city this big! I went to school, studied hard and got certified, and now I am either under qualified or over qualified! I am going for billing and would like to work my way up to coding, or do a mixture of both. I have a background in healthcare, yet all the employers are looking for experience actually doing medical billing. I have easily submitted 60 applications in the last 2 months, with only 2 interviews. What else can a person do?

The only externship they have through the AAPC is 35 miles away!

This thread topic scares me to be honest. I've invested so much money time and effort into becoming a CPC and now I find this thread. It's very frustrating, I hope the situation changes soon. I wish all those who are job searching all the best!

4. Default
    I am so grateful that so many of us are sharing this experience of not being able even to land an interview, coming out of our training. In another section, I've posted a suggestion that AAPC-sponsored instructors (of the PMCC/Professional Medical Coding Curriculum) be counseled not to admit, into their courses, students who do not have some significant coding experience. Some PMCC instructors already take this position. Such a policy would prevent what I think is a looming financial crisis for the MANY of us who begged and borrowed for the tuition to take our PMCC, only then to find that we have no realistic chance of working in coding, because we are not ALREADY experienced coders.

Sure, some of us may find jobs in billing or reception/scheduling, which, in an occasional case, may lead to a coding opportunity (I'm trying this strategy now, and even this strategy does not seem to work); but to have to wait YEARS before we can put our coding credential to work is not only emotionally crushing, but financially potentially disastrous.

AAPC is a respected and forward-looking organization. Now is the time for it to acknowledge and DO SOMETHING to address the growing ranks of CPCs who got their credentials through AAPC, and who will probably never work in coding.

Private trade schools are somewhat regulated, regarding the representations they can make to students in order to induce them to lay down tuition for career training. In this economic recession, though, our government must do lots more to recognize that aggressive marketing of educational programs is on the rise due to the vulnerability of a population forced to retrain after losing work in an established career. Until the government acts to regulate better, though, we must become much smarter consumers, alas. AAPC can jump right in and take the lead; but it will be harder for the coding programs linked to for-profit trade schools to be convinced to start toning down their marketing in the medical support professions.

In this vein, I would urge AAPC not only to ask PMCCs to restrict their courses to experienced coders, but also to limit what PMCCs can charge for their courses. The tuitions vary wildly. It will be years, for example, before I can repay my family for their generous gift of tuition for my CPC training. It is humiliating and very stressful for me to see them mystified by my inability to find work now, after completing my program and registering a very high score on the CPC exam.

I hope to be more constructive next time. . .I'm spending all my waking hours trying to find at least indirect ways to use my CPC-A. . .If something pans out, I'll be back here with updates...
    Last edited by hrojzen; 06-26-2009 at 09:02 AM. Reason: typo

TRY GETTING IN THE DOOR TO A MEDICAL OFFICE AS A RECEPTIONIST THEN YOU CAN SHOW MORE OF AN INTEREST AND MOVE INTO THE BILLING AREA. tHAT IS HOW i STARTED 15 YRS AGO

Finding superior coding jobs without going through the trench remains a challenge for not only me but others as well! The conventional way for coders to enter the CODING industry is through starting out as secretaries and billers, but, is that an applicable place for someone entering the industry from an Ivy League School, or someone like me who has been studying in theory now, coding, for seven years; I couldn't imagine, as said in above post, the humiliation..... for coders to score extraordinary on exams, and then be classified as some "average JOEY" the biller copy man, or woman....

I am sure the AAPC will put something together in the future once our country finally implements a new ICD manual. I can't even go and get coding job because so many managers on professional side want me to code things that arn't there...... It is sad to see the way our country operates, and then to look at my fellow country men and women as they LOL....

Sorry to all if I sound like I am LOL in an situation that normally wouldn't evoke a LOL.....
    Last edited by 007CPC; 06-28-2009 at 04:00 PM.

I am also seeing that the AAPC needs to make Project Xtern available for those of us who lack experience in the medical field-Period. I feel the frustration as other do as well. A fellow coder in my area mentioned that it has taken her 8 months to land a postion-and it's not coding.

I am new to this site. I have been in this type of situation before where you have the tools but not the experience and no one is willing to give you the time to get experience. What I did was go to a temp agency. As long as you pass their test they will get you a position; you will be working for them but you will be getting the experience you need as well as a pay check.

Quote Originally Posted by harrison8160 View Post
    I am new to this site. I have been in this type of situation before where you have the tools but not the experience and no one is willing to give you the time to get experience. What I did was go to a temp agency. As long as you pass their test they will get you a position; you will be working for them but you will be getting the experience you need as well as a pay check.
    Temp agencies, employment inc., etc.... do not fit the definition of a viable, gainful coding opportuny and they also don't "uphold a higher standard in utilizing medical codes"........ they label billing jobs coding jobs..... which is a sever misunderstanding and waves the red flag for an audit..... every temp agency I go to requires a coder to type 10000kSPH........ and since I have writers hand, that I think is slowely evolving into carpal tunnel...... temp agency do not have the working ideology of humane understanding....
    Last edited by 007CPC; 07-05-2009 at 02:56 PM. Reason: spelling

10. Default
    Thank you for the great advice......