Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

No Coding Jobs for inexperienced Coders

Rome, Georgia Chapter - Rome Coding Professionals
    Default New Coders
    Medical Coding Books
    Apply for any position - then do it well. about 26 years ago I began as a receptionist, then moved up to transcription and on to billing and finally into Office manager and then I went for my CPC and stepped into a coding position. It is not easy - especially if you have not worked in a medical setting. The best advise - accept what you can get just to get your foot in the door and then prove yourself.
    Debby

Default New Coders
    Very well said, Debby. I began in the Medical field as a part-time transcriptionist and then worked as receptionist after graduating from college and later worked in insurance/billing and enojyed it so much that I became a CPC. The experience you gain along the way will be invaluable when it comes to coding/billing. Debby is right....it's not easy, but it is well worth it.

Teresa Collins, CPC

Gosh, this post has a lot of information and opinions.

Normally, I try to keep quiet on the issues of graduates finding employment and the difficulty of coding exams.

However, this time I have something to offer.

What novice and new-graduate coders must understand in the hiring process is the mitigating role an HIM or Coding Manager plays. On one hand, the managers have a vacancy to fill. Certification probably is required; after all, that seems the defining feature for candidates. And, that requirement supports and validates that a coder has at least the minimum qualifications for the job duties.

On the other hand, you have Human Resources and Recruiters. These folks are not schooled to understand coding credentials, education and generally have little insight of the nuances in qualifications for coders. They must rely on the information supplied to them from the hiring officials. Human resources may not, for instance, understand the variances of being a CPC and a CPC-P. If the words in a candidate's Resume do not match the words listed as qualifications on the announcement, that candidate is unlikely to gain interview. For example, an announcement may request that a coder be "certified" through AAPC or AHIMA. HR folks likely don't understand what qualifies as "certified"; they may forward non-certified coders' Resumes forward for managerial review. The point is, your Resume should factually state in detail what your credentials are (e.g., Certified Professional Coder through AAPC). Take nothing for granted.

I've found that HR can sometimes believe coding managers too stringent in their screening. I don't necessarily believe that to be the case.

It's important to also keep in mind that sometimes the hiring officials are actually members of larger hiring groups. In these models, a board or committee may choose the candidate's salary based on qualifications. With that being the case, those folks can sometimes (conversely) believe that managers choose "minimally qualified" candidates.

Hiring is a fine line to walk for the selecting officials. A newly approved position or vacancy is valuable to the hiring organization just as well as to the candidate. Choosing the right coder takes effort and commitment on both sides.

I wish you all luck. It might be wise to look at non-traditional options. Coders are employed all across healthcare in a variety of positions. It makes sense to explore those.
    Last edited by kevbshields; 07-18-2009 at 07:56 AM.

4. Default
    As you can see, I am very new to this site. I'm currently studying to take the CPC exam later this year. Medical is not my background (MBA-business, AS-computer programming), but I find the coding class extremely interesting and always love to learn new things. I'm not going to delude myself into thinking I can get a coding job easily, but I'm hoping that the CPC designation and my business background will get me into the medical environment.

I actually have only about 15 more years to work before I can officially retire if I wish to. My main goal is to work until I can't work anymore and I'm hoping that eventually I will find a job where I'll be able to code from home by the time I'm in my early 60's.

I just want to thank everyone for their information and comments. I look forward to learning more from everyone on this site.

I've kept my eye on this thread ever since it started. In my case luck and knowing the right person helped me get a foot in the door. At my age (60) don't have the time to think about creating a long job profile for this new love of my life. Did that during my tenure as a music teacher for 30+ years. One must be realistic in their expectations, so my odyssey will be to learn as much as possible for the new job that I do have, hunker down, and be the best employee I can be in this particular specialty for my remaining work years. Had I started this business 30 years ago, the path would have been much different, but at the moment, I am deeply contented, motivated, and passionate with this first job.---Suzanne E. Byrum, CPC-A

Wink Dont give up
    I just took the exam for CPC a few days ago (8/1/09); but I have been doing A/R in the healthcare field for 9 years. I went on the internet and posted my resume to every job board there was; they should have a job board that helps find jobs in your local area - not only that I sent my resume to every hospital, clinic and urgent care facility within a 50 mile range from my home. I went on many interviews. I received a call from a hospital that I sent my resume to months ago. I was blessed with an offer for a coding job because I was taking the test. I start the job 8/17/09 and I pray I past the exam..

7. Default
    I am one of the lucky ones I guess. I replied to an inquiry for experienced professional coders and had just recently passed certification for CPC. I decided that it would not hurt to apply for the job and I was offered it! I have now been working for the same practice for over a year and have gained the experience. My suggestion is to not overlook jobs that are looking for "experienced" coders because you may have other qualities that make you an asset to the company and are willing to train you for the rest. Best of luck to you and don't overlook your hidden qualities. SS

8. Default
    Wonderful to be reading reports of success. . .Harrison8160, can you share whether the hospital position you got is for inpatient DRG/ICD-9-oriented coding? Or, rather, is your new position a continuation of your focus on AR coding, which, I assume, was more physician-service-oriented. . .I've lately noticed that the coding world seems to be demarcated clearly along lines of either CCS/DRG coding or CPC/AR coding, but possibly I am oversimplifying?

Red face
    Quote Originally Posted by hrojzen View Post
    Wonderful to be reading reports of success. . .Harrison8160, can you share whether the hospital position you got is for inpatient DRG/ICD-9-oriented coding? Or, rather, is your new position a continuation of your focus on AR coding, which, I assume, was more physician-service-oriented. . .I've lately noticed that the coding world seems to be demarcated clearly along lines of either CCS/DRG coding or CPC/AR coding, but possibly I am oversimplifying?
    Outpatient. The hospital outpatient clinic's use to have a agency doing all the a/r and coding work but they bought it in house back in May or June of this year. There is a total of 9 clinic's. The majority focuses on Orthopedic surgery, but there is also Vascular surgery, and internal med.

hospitals & private practices alike should ban together with the career colleges and offer internship programs
    Last edited by michellelgrd; 08-21-2009 at 03:52 PM.