AAPC - Back to school
Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: No Coding Jobs for inexperienced Coders

Default I lucked out on finding a job.

AAPC: Back to School
    I graduated from a tech school in Kansas this last Jan. I didn't look for a job right away because I was pregnant but in Jan I did post my resume on Career Builder and I got many phone calls for interviews. I didn't interview with a job until July and I got the job. Now I'm a coder/biller for a hospital's sepciality clinics. I going for my speciality creds after the first of the year. I believe I am grossly under paid but I am a CPC-A and I still don't know how I landed this job. I work by myself and I am the only coder for the clinics. Also, I audit some hospitalist once a month and I do inpt coding as well. It was a lot to take in when I first started but now everything is going smoothly now. I would like to take on a second job working from home but I can't seem to find anything. I'm happy with my job even though I was just kind of thrown in the mix and under paid but I could not have a job right now. I look at this job as getting my feet wet in the medical field because I'm not going to stay here.

Truth be told, experience is the key because providers dont want to be held liable for an error in the office. I speak at many coding and billing schools and I tell them like it is, it's going to be hard to land that first job but there are many ways to get in as most companies hire from within. Try temp agencies, network at your meetings, get yourself some liability insurance and use that as a tool and the number one thing I tell them. Start at the bottom if you have to. If there is a lower end position that is open apply for it because if you get it you now have your foot in the door and you have just increased your odds GREATLY of being able to promote within. That's exactly what I did 5.5 years ago, I took a position as a medical collector and since then I have not only gotten to where I wanted but surpassed that into an even more higher position We are putting on a "Getting your foot in the door in the medical field' workshop in Jan. of 2010 I would be more then happy to provide you with acopy of that slide.

Michael A. Reynolds, CPC, CCP-P, OS
    Project Manager
    Corporate Compliance
    Sharp HealthCare
    San Diego, California
    858-499-5757 Desk
    858-499-3020 Fax

I'm in the same bolt as you. There has to be a way things can change. I live in the Chicago area and Im having the hardest time getting my foot in any companys door. I dont have no experience in the coding area, but along with my CPC, I do have a bachelors degree in accounting. If any one know any place hiring in the Chicago area please forward it on to me. I would really appreciate it. My email is kristine_tyler@att.net

Try this place.. I know they have been placing people in coding positions in the Chicago land area.

Kelly Long CPC, CFE
    Manager Audit and Compliance

So CA

Default So California and Project Xtern

I read this entire thread and felt compelled to answer. I work for a large IPA/Medical management company in the low desert and we are a Project Xtern site. Some of you may have called or emailed me. I post using my real name and don't hide behind a cutsey avatar. I realize that some of you use your real names as well, which I really appreaciate as an employer. I will address what I mean by that in a second.

Part of the problem with using externs is the state law in California. It does not allow a company to have extern do the same functions as an employee without being paid at least minimum wage. In the past, externs were a "win/win" for a company-the company gets caught up on some coding for free and the extern gets some much needed experience. Now I have to have budgetary allowance to have an Extern come and help us stay on schedule, which can be impossible when you have to convince a bean-counter to spend the money.

I also speak at our local technical college and probably will not be asked back. Why? Because I don't believe in telling someone that the certificate of completion that the college gives for a "billing and coding" course will get them a high paying job. Because the reality is that it won't. Yes, you may have paid 30K for that piece of paper, spent 2 years of your life in class and received good grades, however, the material they are teaching is just not enough of "real life" to be able to perform the job duties that are required.

Most of us "old timers" began from the ground up-I have been the chart room filing clerk, appointment scheduler, receptionist, check-out clerk, etc as well as the biller, billing coordinator, project manager, department supervisor and department manager. You have to be willing to take any job in an office and eventually, you will be there to get the coder job when one becomes available.

Now, back to my soapbox and what I meant by "cutsey avatars" or user names. As a hiring manager, anyone that I consider for one of my positions is already in the interview process when I look over their resume, speak to them on the phone or respond to an email. My advice is save your creative usenames for Facebook or Twitter and get one that means business and that you are to be taken seriously.

I am always happy to help anyone with any questions they may have. Please feel free to PM me.
    Litriana (Lee) Shimano, CPC, CCP, PCS

I had the same problem. It took me 11 months to find a position. No one would even interview me because I didn't have any experience. My advise is stay where you are until you get a few years experience, then you can go wherever you want.

Default Medical and Billing Certificate

I graduated from Salter College in Westboylston, MA last year 2008 and I did my Externship with Fallon Clinic in Worcester in coding. I went to take the test two weeks ago but I fail because I'm not working in the field. I'm working in Banking. I graduated from Data Entry and Bank Teller. I went back to school to take another career because my husband became legally blind. I have been applied in any position as a Medical Record, Service Representative etc. Could you help me find a job in the medical field.

Default dISCOURAGED

I have recently been certified as a CPC-H. I thought i was alone with this lack of experience thing, i almost feel even more discouraged knowing that im not. I have dedicated the past 2 years of my life to getting educated in this field of billing and coding and all i need is a chance to prove my dedication. If i knew 2 years ago what i know now, i dont believe i would have wasted so much time and money to get nothing in return. SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE!!!!!! THERE ARE QUALIFIED PEOPLE THAT WANT JOBS!!!!!!

I am going through the exact same things you are going through. Our stories are identical, and like you I am so discouraged. I am thankful that I have a job but I hate it and I spent a lot of time money and effort to get my certification and I feel it was all a huge waste of my time.

Default Thank you all fellow coders!

My Dear Fellow Coders,

We have all had hard times. Yes, we all went into this with open hearts and open minds(and credit cards), to be discouraged.

I just want to thank you all for sharing your stories. I feel your pain.

I am thankful for you seasoned coders who give advice. Thank you for taking the time from your busy schedules to help.

God Bless all of you!
    Kathleen Kay Wilson