AAPC - Back to school
Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: No Coding Jobs for inexperienced Coders

Unhappy CPC-A - 3yrs and still no coder job found in CA

AAPC: Back to School
    I wish someone had told me this before I spent all the time & money to become certified, the AAPC is happy for you to pay the money to join their organization but needs to be more honest about how hard it is for entry level coders to find jobs. I have 19 years experience in the healthcare field and I can't even get an interview for a coder position. If I could get at least an interview yes I could relay how much healthcare experience I have but I can't even get an interview...yes all the CPC-A's need to demand more help in obtaining internship/training I think we deserve this as member's. Also I never get a reply from anyone listed on the Xtern site.

I have been having the same problem. I finished my the coding program in May 2009 and I still have not found a job. I have received many calls but they all want more experience. My thing is how can we ever get any experience if no one is willing to give us a try. I have gotten so discourage about the situation that I feel like I wasted my time on this medical coding when I could have went to school for MA at least they have many job that are much easier to fill. I am really trying not to give up.If anyone have any info pleas contact me at LCHICKMAN@YAHOO.COM

Woodland Hills (Los Angeles), California

Many are discouraged about this situation, thinking that there was a demand in coders, a safety net for us that offered job security. It's totally the opposite--at least for us who put in 2-1/2 years of school. Fortunately, I didn't go to a private school.

Last October at our chapter meeting, we were told that we need to take a four unit anatomy class and a four unit physiology class from a community college; which I don't mind at all, but I as well as others need a job.

Some of the teachers from these private schools have spoken up loudly complaining that their students have spent $10,000 to $13,000 and now they can't find a job. It looks like we're all in the same boat. That's unfortunate. Looks like I have to starting thinking about Plan B; and that is finding another career. This is sad.
    Last edited by Sonjagirl; 01-31-2010 at 10:07 PM.

Default Judy from Chespeake, VA

I also have been trying to get into coding. I got my CPC-A last year and have been working in medical transcribing which is a dying job. I am now at home taking care of a grandchild and would like to get something in coding at home. I have another friend who is in my same boat. At our office they will not hire us because we don't have any coding experience and they said they don't have anyone to mentor us. J

Default judy

Hi, it's me again. When we took the coding class which was very expensive, we were told that we would be hired if we passed the coding test. I feel like we were mislead and all they wanted was the money that we could pay. Then on top of that my instructor told us that if we passed the test we would be reimbursed. Only the people who were already coding were reimbursed. I feel we were treated badly at our office.

Default medical coder

Hello Everyone,

Does anyone know of internships for a new CPC in the Atlanta area? Thanks

June McGill Prelowski

Hello. I can feel your pain too. I completed an 18 month ASMBC in September. We also found out that our program included plenty of coding but hardly any billing studies. Now realizing that the students graduating this year are not prepared to even take the exam we've been encouraged to complete yet 2 more classes 11 wks. total to "review" this material. I have not even tried to get any type of coding position since I'm not yet certified, but I joined AAPC, enrolled in the additional classes etc. but I really have to work! Somewhere, anywhere! Can't even seem to land a receptionist job in a medical office. Tried to apply for my old retail jobs but my newly completed education is putting the brakes on that too! This is a catch 22 situation for us and I'm not sure whether to change my course or pretend I never got this degree.
    Louise in Alabama

Default No jobs

The certified medical coding field is becoming over saturated and as a result it is becoming more and more difficult to secure coding positions not only for the inexperienced but also for the experienced.

Years ago the same thing happened in nursing and it wasn't until there became a nursing shortage that jobs became more prevelant and the salary structure increased.

Maria CPC, CPC-H, CEMC

Default Scrbes

This is a long string so it may have been mentioned. But one growth area in this field is Scribing. The reason is the move to EMRS. right now most of the jobs are in EDs. They tend to be entry level jobs. So for a mature coder it might be a pay cut. But for a recently trained or certified coder, Scribing could be a good opportunity.The work is at the ED, so no working at home. But if I were starting out I'd look at Scribing since you work closely with the doc while the doc is treating the patient. That is experience beyond anything you will learn in coding school.

Jim Strafford CEDC MCS-P

I have been trying to "break in" for over 2 years, though more intensely for the last 5 months since passing the CPC exam. I have had all of 2 interviews with no offers. Positions are being posted in my area, but they are all requiring 2 to 3 years experience. I have been trying the Xternship route, but no one has the time to take on an intern, when they bother to respond to inquiries. I have been applying for jobs as receptionists and other entry level positions within the various clinics/hospitals in my area to just get my foot in the door, but no luck yet, and no way to find out why I'm not being considered a candidate.

There is a shortage of qualified people with experience, how can they meet the need without going into the growing pool of CPC-A's? Some of these postings have been up for months.

I feel the pain of the others in this situation with me. The current economy isn't helping.

Ann CPC-A
    Last edited by annbusiek; 02-12-2010 at 01:37 PM.