AAPC - Back to school
Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: No Coding Jobs for inexperienced Coders

Default Jobs

AAPC: Back to School
    Check your local Temp Agency. That is how I got my Job and have been there for 2 years. Now I have experience and can look elsewhere for employment.

I hope that helps.

Default same problem

I live in Northern Maine and recently passed the CCA exam. But again no matter where I look there are no places for us inexperienced coders. I interned for 6 months as well but with the program I graduated from there is not even a course for 3M.

Michele Gauvin CCA

Nashville, TN

After reading all these posts, I never knew the outlook of trying to get employment for those without coding experience is negatively overwhelming and very discouraging, especially the many posts from people who have taken the CPC exam and passed it a year or so ago and still haven’t found a coding job, either due to lack of experience or the CPC–”A” is holding them back.

I recently graduated from a local community college and took some coding classes, one in which prepared me for taking the CPC exam. A few years ago, I was interested in medical transcription, but eventually my interest changed towards medical coding, partly due to the changes that MT has gone through.

It appears the work experience a majority of employers require is either direct medical coding or working in a medical office environment in some capacity.

I am currently a bill reviewer of workers’ comp medical claims. Though I don’t do any actual coding, and I rely a lot on bill review software, I am very familiar with what needs to be filled out on the claim forms and if any documentation is needed in order for the insurance companies to reimburse the providers. I wonder if this would be considered any kind of experience to help me get my foot in the door towards a coding job. I even asked the supervisor of the department at our company that performs coding logic review with the primary focus on E&M codes, and the coders must be certified and experienced. She didn’t specify what kind of experience, but I’m pretty sure she means coding experience.

I still plan on taking the CPC exam this summer, but I guess I’ll be in the same boat as the other apprentice coders and just try to get my foot in the door to get that “A” off. However, it won’t be easy.

I cannot afford to take an entry level clerical/admin position that will pay a lot less than what I am making now, and I don’t have the time to take on a second job to make up for the loss in pay. I might be overqualified due to my past experience and knowledge to take a lower level position. And if an employer knows I don’t plan on staying at a position for very long because I’ll leave as soon as a position comes along that I believe will get me closer towards a coding career, they may not want to hire me.

I know I shouldn't have a negative attitude about all this, but it's hard not to feel a little caught in what seems to be a catch-22 situation.

Beaverton, Oregon Chapter

Default Don't take "no" for an answer!!

I am also a "newbie"...but, persistence is the key to success.
    I had applied online to the position I now hold...at the time, I was still in school, uncertified, but eager to learn as much as possible. When I applied, the ad read: Certified coder 3-5 years experience...I applied anyway...wanted to see if anyone was actually looking at these online resumes!! I recieved no response!!
    Three months later, I was performing my externship, and during that time, I went back online, only to find the same position was still open...only now they wanted a certified coder with 3 months experience. I was all over it. I had planned to take my certification test in mid-December. Anyway, I found out who was in charge of hiring for the position. I literally made a pest of myself, and finally got in front of the supervisor. I assured her she would not find a more dedicated individual who would put forth 110% of effort all the time. All I needed was a chance to show what I could do.
    Found out I passed the certification test on Christmas Day, and started my new job Dec. 28th.
    I have been here for three months now, and apparently doing well, as I have been given many more responsibilites besides just the clinic coder (eleven clinics). I am auditing the docs, coding anesthesia for the hospital, and charge entry. I am always willing to meet the challenge when I am asked to do more...the more I learn, the better the job security.
    And did I mention, I am a grandfather...age 53. If I can do it, anybody can!!
    Don't take "no" for an answer!!
    Good Luck!!

Kochina Coders-Mesa,AZ

Default No Coding Jobs

I have been volunteering my time and effort to two major hospital in the AZ. I graduated in July 2009 and was unable to find a job in the medical coding field or medical record area. I started to volunteer and have learned the medical records background as well as front office EMR. I am also learning the INS AND OUTS of EMTALA. I am greatful for what I have learned. I have great family support that are telling me to hold on and something will brerak through.

Last edited by Eddie; 03-28-2010 at 11:48 AM. Reason: spelling

Sarasota FL

Post Inexperienced/don't give up.

I can identify with all of you and particularly jjhamer1. I had no experience, just a CCA certification and 25 years in England as a dentist. When it came to finding a coding job I almost gave up; all wanted experience. I got a job alert about a position at a billing company who I really, really wanted to work for but they wanted 2-3 years coding experience preferably in cardiology. I had none of that but applied, got the interview, got the job and love it.
    I have been there for a year now, passed the CPC first time, am soon to take the anesthesia specialty certification. I too am a grandfather(55)....there you go. It can be done. Don't give up.

East Valley Kachina Coders (Mesa, AZ)

My first coding job was about six years ago. I had called a local college asking about some health billing classes and as I was about to hang up the phone I asked the lady "by the way how do you get your first job in this field?". She said "it's kind of tough, but wait, someone put a card up on the board yesterday...". She got a card and I ended up with a lead. That lead turned into a $10.00 an hour job working for a small billing company. I did coding part-time and learned billing the rest of the time. It was a rough job, sometimes we weren't paid on time, but honestly I'd have worked for FREE for the experience. From there I was called again by the same lady at the college about a year later. She wondered if I was still working there and mentioned "I'm working for this agency and they need some coders". I ended up coding hospital ER physician side charts for alot more money. It was only a temp contract but it's experience and after that it's come one after another. If I had to give some tips they'd be as follows.

1. Don't balk at a lower paying job to get your foot in the door. A medical practice as a job reference is worth it's weight in gold as a reference.

2. Try volunteering in a hospital. You can mention "I'm a coder and would like to volunteer in medical records". Most hospitals I've worked at have allowed volunteers into those departments. Again it's a foot in the door.

3. Network. Go to your local meetings and introduce yourself. Don't limit yourself to "I'm looking for a coding job". ANY job in the healthcare field is a good start. Again get a foot in the door.

4. Research. Investigate the company you're applying with. Research their financials, their officers (if they're big), their history, their community involvement. Don't walk into an interview blind but know the specialty, the history, the doctors (that really impresses them). You wouldn't want someone to fix your car who had never read about your model would you? Of course not.

5. Personality. It's tough these days because of the economy. Alot of people are applying for jobs but remember many of them are not qualified at all. I've seen applications come in from people who have no medical experience at all via careerbuilder. Employers are flooded with these worthless resumes. Make yourself stand out. If you call to ask a question send a followup thank you note. If you get an interview again send an email or a thank you note a couple of days later. You want to make the interviewer remember you.

6. Education. I can't stress how important it is to stay on top of things. We all know ICD-10 is coming up in a couple of years and it's going to be tough. If you want to set yourself above other applicants attend a few seminars, indicate those on your resume, tell a prospective employer you're very excited about the changes and are learning all you can about ICD-10. I can tell you most of the doctors I know are NOT looking forwrad to it and most doctors offices will NOT be prepared for it when it comes. Education is alot more than letters behind your name it's a permanent part of the profession. There are plenty of free resources you can review if money is an issue.

Most important... be positive. It's tough sometimes (I know) but it's essential. You may need to take that non-coding job at first, you may need to take a job not in healthcare, but don't give up the goal. With ICD-10 and healthcare reform and RAC audits and private insurer reviews the role of coders will grow and grow. Gone are the days when a doctors wife can play office manager and his daughter handle the billing. Even if the doctors don't realize it yet they soon will with the upcoming changes. It's going to be a shock for them and educated certified coders are going to be their first line of defense.
    Erik J. Kilbo, CCS, CCS-P, CPC, CPC-I, CDIP, CCDS
    Manager - HIMS/Coding/CDI
    Acute care hospital in metro Phoenix, AZ.
    AAPC PMCC Instructor
    AHIMA Approved ICD-10-CM/PCS Trainer

Default I've been reading some of this stuff and...

Seem to realize that if you think negative, you definitely won't get a job. Like Henry Ford said "If you think can or you think you can't. Then your always right." So I would just stay away from threads like these because bad news of any kind just brings in loads of negativity and also just put yourself out there and keep trying until you get your job. If you fail, keep trying, but don't give up because that means you lose once you give up. Also represent yourself well and speak well. Read up on how to be successful on an interview because there are loads of info out there to do that especially the internet and library. So hope you all read this and learn something. Keep your head up because YOU WILL FIND A JOB and when you do you keep up the excellent work in medical coding for more better opportunities.

- Andrew (CPC-A Pending) *I'm positive I passes *

International Member

Thumbs up

Hey Look in to the AAPC forum or jobs section or if u search in "INDEED.COM"

Then you get lots of job opportunities. And also if still you're unemployed then please being in touch with new update on coding, keep in hands with the ICD/CPT coding guidlines. It helps you to get job & also boost your confidence.

Best of LUCK.

SEMaxwell .. if you have worked in the medical field (billing for WC included!) for two years, you won't get that "A" after your CPC. You just need to have your employer(s) sign a paper stating how long you have worked there.