AAPC - Back to school
Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: No Coding Jobs for inexperienced Coders

Evansville Indiana

Default no jobs

AAPC: Back to School
    One reason why hospitals are cutting back is that they are suffering from increased bad debt because patients are not able to pay their bills. Also, insurers are cutting back on payment and the RAC program is taking back money from the hospitals. They are also having to pay increased amounts for their own employees health benefits. I realize that people still get sick, but hospitals suffer on their bottom line just like everyone else.

Fayetteville, NC

Cheermom68 is right and not only are the hospitals hurting but all physician's offices are. Insurance companies have cut payments for procedures and E/M. On top of that Medicare one of the largest (if not THE largest) payers has been in a sort of limbo for quite a while now. The fee schedule has been a mess for the last 2+ years and it doesn't look like there will be any real resolution to this. At one point this year it looked as if physician payments were going to be cut by 21% which is huge especially when you consider a physician's office's overhead. At this point we are looking at an almost 30% cut on January 1st if the SGR isn't corrected/fixed. Physician's offices are scrambling to cut costs as much as they can in the event that this cut comes to pass. So far it has been stalled/delayed several times but the possibility makes everyone very tense.
    I will admit I got very lucky in getting the job I did with absolutely no experience and right before the health care issue blew up. In my area no one starts off at what my employers started me off at even with experience. It took me 6 months to find my job but it was well worth all of the interviews and resumes. I just kept plugging away and mailing resumes, studying, reading everything I could about coding and using every free resource I could
    For new coders the best advice is what everyone else has been saying. Apply for everything, be willing to start anywhere and work your way up, keep studying and perfecting your skills. A good employee who has proven themselves willing to work, willing to be flexible, and willing to grow and learn in the field is even more valuable in the healthcare field now than ever before.
    A. McCormick, CPC, CGSC
    Walters Surgical Associates

Red face Making the right connections

My mother told me, if I wanted to harvest a crop, I had to pick up the shovel and dig! It is possible to find a entry level coding position, but you may have to work for it. Here are some stratagies that may prove helpful for you: 1. Working as an entry level claims adjustor where you get experience reading medical charts can be a beginning toward moving into a position as a coder. 2. Most people that I know began their career by being in the right place at the right time. And to do that you have to make connections in your community getting the word out that you have the credenial. Every time you see a doctor, go to an urgent care facility or hospital, it is always worth while to find out the name of the person who does the hiring .... and then following up with that person.... 3. Keep a clean copy of your resume and a business card (call card with your contact information) handy (like in the trunk of your car). 4. Get on the planning board for community activities so that you rub elbows with the rght people -- is there a walk for breast cancer or a dinner at a local church for a local child in need of a transplant-- getting to know people who are in a position to suggest you as a perspective coder for a doctor who needs one is so important. Word of mouth is always the best advertisement! 6. While waiting for your opportunity, voluneer for hospice or the oncology department in the local hospital, etc. (great for the resume). You get the idea. 6. Having dual certifications of nurse and coder are prized among perspective employers. So, if you aren't in the right place right now --- and you really like the medical field, then, begin a two year certificate program and become a nurse, too. If you could pass the AAPC or AHEMA exams, you have what it takes to do this too. Just don't sit around being frustrated ....working toward a nursing certificate may hold the key.
    And, hey, I wish you well in your endeavor:

Hi, I have a wonderful job, but very stressful. I have many years of experience in the medical field and know quite alot, but I think I don't give myself enough credit where experience is involved as far as everyone wants there money taken care of by people who are not even up on the latest information. I also have my CPC, and I know everyone wants experience. Just, keep trying that is all I can say!

Kelly I live in a town with a VA hospital. What do you suggest I do or say to them?

Charlene Sales, CPC-A

Coastal Coders

You could try doing what I did. I told the folks at my last interview that I would scrub the toilets, sweep the floors and empty the trash cans if they would hire me.
    They did....and I don't. lol
    But my willingness to commit to any unpleasant task demontrated my motivation.
    It's worth a shot. It worked for at least one of us.

I'm an Information Technology professional, with 20+ years of experience in the business. I've been recognized as a mentor and a leader, have an expert level computer skillset, embody the term "self starter", have years of experience in customer service, and have a commitment to providing quality work.

I became a certified coder back in April 2010. I excelled during the training, so much so that I was asked to substitute for trainers while they missed class. I perfomed well on the CPC exam - 88%. I feel that I possess an exceptional resume (listing THREE Fortune 500 companies), have excellent written and verbal communication skills, and would be an asset to any organization that would provide me the opportunity.

My results after eight months of searching for a job is ONE rejection letter. Most of the companies in the area won't even respond with that. I see all of the jobs listed locally (I reside in the Northern Cincinnati suburbs), yet NO ONE seems to want to give a CPC-A a chance to get their foot in the door. I find that totally absurd, because if anyone has the pedigree to be a success in this business, whether it be in billing, coding, customer service, teaching, whatever, I tend to feel that it would be me.

After eight months, I have to feel that training and certification is leading to nothing more than dead ends. I won't denigrate myself to scrub toilets or sweep floors to get my foot in the door. Should we be throwing more money at further training & certifications within this field, or is it time to cut our losses and look at other professions?

Has anyone tried the "Virtual Experience: Apprentice Removal" option?
    I'm thinking about it, but would like to hear from other CPC-A coders and get your impressions.

Virginia in San Diego

Orange, Anaheim, Los Alamitos CA

@ Virginia in San Diego, to remove the A from CPC title, you have to code correctly 720 op-note out of 800. You have two trials to do this. If still fail, you have to pay again. The fee is about $200. I have never tried this. In my opninion, it is a lot of work and I'm not ready yet. If you think you are ready, go for it. Best of luck

Johnathan Tran, CPC-A

Louisville, KY

Have you applied at IT and EMR vendors? It's becoming more common to find people with combinations of education and experience from HIM and IT; however, it is unusual to find a certified coder with IT experience (at least in my area). These vendors need (now more than ever) to gain a foot hold of credibility in this time of HIM transition. I would imagine that with your skill set, you'd be a nice fit for multiple positions available through those vendors.

Regardless, with a strong Resume that points toward experience outside of health care, network at local chapter meetings. Find a hiring manager who can critique your Resume and suggest updates. Also, since you are savvy with IT, create a presentation for your local chapter--I'm sure they'd love a speaker with this combination of experiences. This highlights your professionalism and may open doors for you.

Good luck.
    Kevin B. Shields, RHIT, CPCO, CCS, CPC, COC, CCS-P, CPC-P, CPC-I