AAPC - Back to school
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425

Thread: No Coding Jobs for inexperienced Coders

Dover Seacoast New Hampshire

AAPC: Back to School
    Quote Originally Posted by CCrooms View Post
    I have been chasing the proverbial job of anything entry level. I live in the state of Michigan. It is more than difficult to land an entry level position here. As many others have stated it really is difficult and frustrating to want to help and know that you have the skills, desire, and wherewithal to be an asset to anyone that will hire you. But because we do not have a certification, or minimum work experience we are not interviewed, called, or allowed to "show what we got".

What I really get mad about is, I co submit a resume and cover letter and tailor it to the specific job, and will get an interview. Will receive accolades, praise throughout the entire interview, and still will not be chosen. A week or two later I receive that generic letter, or email. ..."Although your skills and credentials are impressive, we decided to go with another 'more qualified candidate'. Then to my horror, either a week or more later - I look out on the web, and the identical exact position has been listed again.

At this point I am thinking, "see if you would have hired me, you would not be spending more money, and time looking for someone else."

Just wanted to vent.

I due have 30 + years of customer service, and I can learn any software program that is out there. Haven't tackled one I have not mastered. But how do you transfer that to an employer. My perspective: No matter where you work, the principles are the same. As long as we know the methodologies everything else can be learned. What happened to each one teach one. Hospitals, Physician Offices, Long Term Care facilities, and Insurance Companies are looking for billers and coders. Why can't someone take those of us that are will to start at the bottom, and work hard to learn because we have a deep desire to learn, we have a dynamic work ethic. Why can't we find entry-level paying positions to help with all of the follow-up that all companies need help with before that statue of limitations runs out on submission of stale dated claims?

Myself, I LOVE doing claims-follow-up. Research, research, research, is my middle name.

If anyone knows of someone that needs this kind of dedication and ability; contact me at: croomsc2008@yahoo.com. In Michigan, or remote.

Thanks for this forum.
    Have you ever contacted the employer and asked why? If they gush all over you at the interview, and then choose someone else, it might be helpful to know what it was about your interview, (or you, for that matter) that they didn't feel measured up to the person that they did choose. You can certainly ask..."I felt my interview went extremely well, and I left feeling positive about this position. I'm wondering if you can give me some feed back as to why I wasn't selected"

As a hiring manager, I typically have a 'top three' that make it to the final interview, and frankly, those interviews are usually fantastic. What it boils down to at the very end is will they fit? What stinks about that from a job candidate perspective, is that it's personal. I've had several great candidates that had wonderful qualifications, but the job involved meeting with providers, and these candidates showed up for their interviews like they just finished up working in the basement. Another candidate was just too "perky"....my staff would have killed her (after they killed me). One candidate was way too anxious....I was afraid she'd be too intimidated by the providers. So it's not always about a great resume. Sometimes it's about whether or not your personality/appearance/demeanor/ fits our environment.
    Pam Brooks, MHA, CPC, PCS, COC
    Coding Manager
    Wentworth-Douglass Hospital
    Dover, NH 03820

If you can dream it, you can do it. Walt Disney

Tyler, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by machshaffer@aol.com View Post
    I agree 100% that more should be done to help those who are searching for "experience", to obtain employment in a field they so desire, and have worked very hard to achieve, and wether or not they are fully certified. I too, am a CPC-A. I was on these forums a while back voicing my concern about this issue, and I still feel that something has to be done to provide the experience needed. Don't get me wrong, I totally beleive in working very hard to get what you want in life, and I don't expect it to be handed to me otherwise. I just think that there are many schools/organiztions that offer the Coding Certification, and even though they do offer great courses, they do not offer a way to gain the experience that is needed in "real life". I also understand that there are not as many jobs available, as there are many people looking for them. But I think that is the problem, there needs to be some other level of training available to obtain the total "experience" needed. Like an internship/externship, or some type of apprentice level training. As of now, I do not know of any such programs being offered. There was an opportunity recently, with The Online Apprentice Removal Program offered through AAPC. I myself, actually purchased the program when it first came out, almost 2 years ago. Unfortunately, after some discussion at the AAPC, it was decided that the program was not able to meet the needs of it's members, and it now has been discontinued. I was also a beta tester in hopes of trying to aid in helping the AAPC make this program a go, but it did not happen. I am not entirely sure what the issues were, but needless to to say, I don't understand why there can't be some way of offering a program that further helps gain the kind of experience that is acceptable, and obviously needed.

This being said, I have been fortunate to find a job in a medical office where the administrator has been gracious enough to help me with my "apprentice" status, by giving me the doc's op notes to code for practice. I am very gratefull for this experience, and I hope at some point I will find that coding job I am working so hard to obtain. So in the mean time, that is what I will do. But I am really hoping that the AAPC will reconsider the options that are ,and are not, availible to it's members in reguard to this issue. Good luck to all of you, and you absolutely have my support.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvmoore View Post
    While I admire the positive attitude of your answer and agree with you in theory, the fact is if you have no experience, you almost never get to speak to anyone about your potentials, work ethic or academic achievements. Applications are almost always required to be submitted electronically and in fact I have been asked to NOT send resumes through the mail or "pop in to meet with the HR people". Inexperienced, yet certified coders send applications and resumes into the electronic void without ever knowing if they are read or filtered out by software programmed to weed out applicants without three to five years experience in the field.
    Thank you two for replying. It is hard to have to only send resumes electronically. I have been doing that (sending resumes electronically). I think that if the administrators of HR see an application/resume they like, they will want to schedule an interview (usually a 'screening' interview then a regular interview). The HR and the department-related interviewers who will be interviewing, will then want to meet you. Most HR employees don't have time to meet every interested candidate in person especially if they have very little office space or time to do this. But the waiting sure is hard.