Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

No Coding Jobs for inexperienced Coders

Medical Coding Books
    It's not just appretices that are having trouble as you can see from this thread.

I have been in the coding/billing field for over twenty years! I recently decided to make it "legit" and took and passed the CPC exam.

Just today I sent a resume to HIMONCALL and got shut down immediately, "We need someone with three years experience." Experience doing WHAT??!! Just because I have not held a job sitting for eight hours straight coding charts, doesn't mean I'm not experienced with coding! Billers use their coding books all day, every day! Give me a break!

Sorry, just had to get that out.
    --
    Carol Rosol, CPC
    Mooresville, NC

I just completed 2-1/2 years of medical insurance billing courses in Woodland Hills, (Los Angeles) California. I'm trying to get “my foot in the door” as well--in an outpatient facility whether it's in a medical center or a doctor's office.

Currently, I'm preparing to take the CPC-A exam in October. I have years of experience working as an Executive Administrative Assistant/Legal Transcriber, but it's very difficult to get in the medical field as a coder without medical experience and certification. We have to start somewhere. This is very frustrating, because years ago my friends learned on the job as a temporary employee without any formal training from school. Then they were hired permanently, and to this day they aren't certified.

If there's a demand in coding, why is it that we're being shut out? I've even heard from those who took the certification exam that it's too advanced from what we were taught in school. My former classmate told me that “our teachers need to get connected with some hospital sources or medical groups that know coding and can give them some inside operating reports or real life scenarios or something to be taught in class . . . because some of them including teachers have to take the certification exam several times in order to pass it.” I was shocked when I heard this, because we had so much work in school and it was overwhelming, plus they studied Carol Buck's study guide months in advanced and did well on the sample exams.

AAPC is well aware of this, and they agree that the certification exam is too advanced. They received many complaints about the exam.

Now there are coding books that are pretty advanced, and I'm working with those. Then there are the $149 CEU classes and audio tapes, but basically I was told it consists of things we already learned--which is a lot of book reading. Then there are low cost CEU courses.

I don't mean to be "long winded," but I just think a change needs to come, because I need to start working as a coder soon.

Default Exam
    The exam is easy to pass if you use the AAPC study guides. My study group had 100% pass rate. My office currenly has an intern that took classes at a Junior college, her books are telling her different information than the AAPC study guides. She was taught one way and we all were taught another way that is supported by CMS, NCCI, CPT and ICD-9 guidelines. She thinks she is correct and won't conform, which makes her useless. Someone is always checking her work. If you want to pass a test given by the AAPC, you need to study AAPC information. Coders are hard to find. Many of our applicants past work experience is being a bartender, hair dresser, waitress. These are all great honest livings, however they do not have the medical back ground. If I were to give advice, I would say to become a Medical Assistant, Medical office worker of some kind, so you have that to show up on your past work experience. Volunteer at a hospital in medical records. Get exposure. There are thousands of coding jobs out there. There are thousands of coders that do not know what they are doing. Unfortunately, wrong coding coudl have punitive consequences for coders, and physicians. Huge Liability.

Default Too Advanced?
    Sonjagirl,
    You write: AAPC is well aware of this, and they agree that the certification exam is too advanced.

I beg to differ. The test is NOT too advanced. It is not easy, but then it shouldn't be. AAPC does review comments on the exams, and statistical evidence that questions on the exam may be incorrect; and those questions are later deleted and/or exam results corrected.

But that doesn't mean the test is too advanced. And AAPC has certainly never "agreed" that it is.

I realize that it's very frustrating to have studied for two years and still feel that you are not prepared. Remember that John Kennedy Jr had to take his bar exam 3 times before he passed, and no one ever said he didn't study in law school.

Get the AAPC study guide and practice exam. Prepare yourself for a challenging 5-hour exam. Get a good night's rest the night before and go into the exam knowing it will be difficult, but that you are well-prepared.

As for needing experience - follow Icode4U's suggestions about getting your foot in the door. Work as a transcriptionist, an admin assistant, a medical records clerk, some entry-level position that will give you the exposure to the field and the opportunity to learn more. Many of us did not start out as "coders;" we worked our way up into those positions.

Good luck to you.
    F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CPC-E/M

In response to the comment from above:

"AAPC is well aware of this, and they agree that the certification exam is too advanced. They received many complaints about the exam."

I believe AAPC knows the exam is hard, but it is to test your knowledge. It certainly isn't a gimme. I am sure they have rec'd complaints, that doesn't mean they "agree that its too advanced." I have never heard this, and I dont believe this comment.

Frankly, For my CPC and CPC-H I got the study guide (ISP modules for "H" also). If you know the questions in the study guide and/or ISP modules questions, AND you know your guidelines, it is a hard exam, but its a fair exam. It is life in the real world. There was no study guide when I took my E/M exam. I passed each exam the first time. I took it way serious, worked with my resources above and my coding books and worried a lot (LOL).

Also, a lot of schools now days are promising people lots of money with no experience. If you cant get a job right out of school, that is not AAPCs fault, its the schools. Its probably nothing to school if you get a job or not, they already have your money.

Sorry if I am ranting, my 2 cents worth. And remember, the CPC is the gold standard, it should be worth more!!!

Machelle
    CPC, CPC-H, CPC-E/M
    Last edited by mmorningstarcpc; 08-28-2008 at 12:09 PM.

Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by FTessaBartels View Post
    Sonjagirl,
    You write: AAPC is well aware of this, and they agree that the certification exam is too advanced.

I beg to differ. The test is NOT too advanced. It is not easy, but then it shouldn't be. AAPC does review comments on the exams, and statistical evidence that questions on the exam may be incorrect; and those questions are later deleted and/or exam results corrected.

But that doesn't mean the test is too advanced. And AAPC has certainly never "agreed" that it is.

I realize that it's very frustrating to have studied for two years and still feel that you are not prepared. Remember that John Kennedy Jr had to take his bar exam 3 times before he passed, and no one ever said he didn't study in law school.

Get the AAPC study guide and practice exam. Prepare yourself for a challenging 5-hour exam. Get a good night's rest the night before and go into the exam knowing it will be difficult, but that you are well-prepared.

As for needing experience - follow Icode4U's suggestions about getting your foot in the door. Work as a transcriptionist, an admin assistant, a medical records clerk, some entry-level position that will give you the exposure to the field and the opportunity to learn more. Many of us did not start out as "coders;" we worked our way up into those positions.

Good luck to you.
    F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CPC-E/M
    My former classmate wrote the bolded information by e-mail. Then we talked on the phone for hours. I haven't had a chance to take the exam yet. All the comments above, came from her and others I personally know such as a consultant from Maxim. She test coders, and she told me out of 60 that she tested at her agency, about 2 passed--even though they passed all their classes at school. Thanks for your input.
    Last edited by Sonjagirl; 08-28-2008 at 08:49 PM.

Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by mmorningstarcpc View Post
    In response to the comment from above:

"AAPC is well aware of this, and they agree that the certification exam is too advanced. They received many complaints about the exam."
    I believe AAPC knows the exam is hard, but it is to test your knowledge. It certainly isn't a gimme. I am sure they have rec'd complaints, that doesn't mean they "agree that its too advanced." I have never heard this, and I dont believe this comment.

Frankly, For my CPC and CPC-H I got the study guide (ISP modules for "H" also). If you know the questions in the study guide and/or ISP modules questions, AND you know your guidelines, it is a hard exam, but its a fair exam. It is life in the real world. There was no study guide when I took my E/M exam. I passed each exam the first time. I took it way serious, worked with my resources above and my coding books and worried a lot (LOL).

Also, a lot of schools now days are promising people lots of money with no experience. If you cant get a job right out of school, that is not AAPCs fault, its the schools. Its probably nothing to school if you get a job or not, they already have your money.

Sorry if I am ranting, my 2 cents worth. And remember, the CPC is the gold standard, it should be worth more!!!

Machelle
    CPC, CPC-H, CPC-E/M
    These are comments from those who have taken the exam. Now I do know a few who passed it, but they did say it wasn't easy. Only one said it was easy. They took it before 2008. I heard that 2008 exam is much harder than the previous exams.

I thought AHIMA was the gold standard. That's what I've been told by various teachers.

I appreciate all of your comments. Thanks for the feedback.
    Last edited by Sonjagirl; 08-28-2008 at 08:50 PM.

Wink
    Quote Originally Posted by Icode4U View Post
    The exam is easy to pass if you use the AAPC study guides. My study group had 100% pass rate. My office currenly has an intern that took classes at a Junior college, her books are telling her different information than the AAPC study guides. She was taught one way and we all were taught another way that is supported by CMS, NCCI, CPT and ICD-9 guidelines. She thinks she is correct and won't conform, which makes her useless. Someone is always checking her work. If you want to pass a test given by the AAPC, you need to study AAPC information. Coders are hard to find. Many of our applicants past work experience is being a bartender, hair dresser, waitress. These are all great honest livings, however they do not have the medical back ground. If I were to give advice, I would say to become a Medical Assistant, Medical office worker of some kind, so you have that to show up on your past work experience. Volunteer at a hospital in medical records. Get exposure. There are thousands of coding jobs out there. There are thousands of coders that do not know what they are doing. Unfortunately, wrong coding coudl have punitive consequences for coders, and physicians. Huge Liability.
    How long were her classes? I have the book by AAPC, but it has Carol Buck's input in it, which I was told by AAPC that it is the same as the one they sell; just a different cover and it also has Carol Buck's input. The formal name of the study guide is 2008 CPC Coding Exam Review - The Certification Step by Carol J. Buck. This is the one my teacher studied from and passed, and this is the one she recommended to us.

Plus, I have the Extra Step work book with a CD. I find the exercises very challenging than the ones in class. Fortunately, the answers and rational are provided. I have other coding training books as well (with the answers), so I've been at this for quite a while.

I didn't go to a private school in Los Angeles, because I wanted longer classes (more than a year). I didn't want to rush through them. However, my coding teachers are certified--one with her own medical insurance billing company, and the other is also certified. Both have been in the medical field for quite a long time, plus one also teaches at a private school. She's really good, and gives us so much work that it's overwhelming. Incidentally, she feels that the private school where she teaches doesn't offer "in-depth coding" like our public school.
    Last edited by Sonjagirl; 08-28-2008 at 08:47 PM.

Project extern would be a great help for those of you, who want to get some experience. I know, it is sad, you have to work for free, but you get hands on experience every day basis. And after that, when they like you, most of the time, you will get hired. Hope things will go well with you guys.
    Why don't you study for CCS too and take the exam? AHIMA does not have "CCS-A". The exam is much much harder, but worth it. You will have lots more doors open, when you get your CCS certification too.

And remember, it is NOT always easy to find the first job. I had to work for free part-time project extern job, for 4 months. It was not easy, but, luckily, I got hired afterwards. Don't expect to get paid more than $17-18 per hour, if you are new. Just you have to think ahead and tell yourself, "this is just the start".
    Lilit
    Last edited by HCCCoder; 08-29-2008 at 08:52 AM.
    CPC CCS
    "The true way to render ourselves happy is to love our work and find in it our pleasure."

Default In search of a coding job
    Well, I see that I am not alone on the jobless front. I graduated from a Billing & Coding program in March of this year and still do not have a job. I will be taking the CPC exam real soon. I thought getting certified would be my in for a job. However, after reading these threads I see that is not the case. I still will not have that much needed work experience that every employer wants. I have also applied for reception and clerical positions hoping that would be an in. So far, no luck. I want to keep trying, but it does get you down. I live in a large medical community also. I feel your pain.

Cathy,
    hibiscus53@hotmail.com