Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

No Coding Jobs for inexperienced Coders

Unhappy
    Medical Coding Books
    Quote Originally Posted by lmartirosyan View Post
    Project extern would be a great help for those of you, who want to get some experience. I know, it is sad, you have to work for free, but you get hands on experience every day basis. And after that, when they like you, most of the time, you will get hired. Hope things will go well with you guys.
    Why don't you study for CCS too and take the exam? AHIMA does not have "CCS-A". The exam is much much harder, but worth it. You will have lots more doors open, when you get your CCS certification too.

And remember, it is NOT always easy to find the first job. I had to work for free part-time project extern job, for 4 months. It was not easy, but, luckily, I got hired afterwards. Don't expect to get paid more than $17-18 per hour, if you are new. Just you have to think ahead and tell yourself, "this is just the start".
    Lilit
    I sent my resume to every organization listed for this city, and I haven't heard from anyone. Also, I read the same complaint from another member who lives here. This is quite discouraging and sad.

Red face
    Quote Originally Posted by csenn View Post
    Well, I see that I am not alone on the jobless front. I graduated from a Billing & Coding program in March of this year and still do not have a job. I will be taking the CPC exam real soon. I thought getting certified would be my in for a job. However, after reading these threads I see that is not the case. I still will not have that much needed work experience that every employer wants. I have also applied for reception and clerical positions hoping that would be an in. So far, no luck. I want to keep trying, but it does get you down. I live in a large medical community also. I feel your pain.

Cathy,
    hibiscus53@hotmail.com
    It was as if you took the words right out of my mouth, or if you read my mind. There is a demand for coders, and I live in a large city, but that doesn't guarantee a job--it was this way years ago, but not now. I wonder if it's this way for New Yorkers. Are there any New Yorkers out there? If so, please provide your input. We need to hear your experience.

Thumbs up
    I know from personal experience with a couple of different employers, some will hire with no experience and some make no exceptions to this requirement. You just have to keep applying. A positive, confident attitude, for those with no experience, may be what it takes to be given that first chance. With time and perseverance you will eventually get your foot in the door. I wish you all the best of luck, hold your heads high and don't give up if this is what you really want!
    Molly Shukis, CPC

Quote Originally Posted by Icode4U View Post
    The exam is easy to pass if you use the AAPC study guides. My study group had 100% pass rate. My office currenly has an intern that took classes at a Junior college, her books are telling her different information than the AAPC study guides. She was taught one way and we all were taught another way that is supported by CMS, NCCI, CPT and ICD-9 guidelines. She thinks she is correct and won't conform, which makes her useless. Someone is always checking her work. If you want to pass a test given by the AAPC, you need to study AAPC information. Coders are hard to find. Many of our applicants past work experience is being a bartender, hair dresser, waitress. These are all great honest livings, however they do not have the medical back ground. If I were to give advice, I would say to become a Medical Assistant, Medical office worker of some kind, so you have that to show up on your past work experience. Volunteer at a hospital in medical records. Get exposure. There are thousands of coding jobs out there. There are thousands of coders that do not know what they are doing. Unfortunately, wrong coding coudl have punitive consequences for coders, and physicians. Huge Liability.

I passed the AAPC CPC exam the first try and I did not study AAPC info. I agree that that the co-worker you speak of needs to adhere to your company policies in order for her to learn compliance, become independant and no longer have her work monitored. However, I believe there is much more to knowing and implementing the ever-changing rules and guidelines, than studying information from a certain resource. Our success depends on how much effort we put forth into learning, and staying current with these policies and regulations. I think you are right, there are many coders who do not know what they are doing (I personally know a few), I am sure there are also some who have current jobs such as bartender, waitress, hair dresser, who would do a better job than some of the coders who currently hold that title. I do not agree that someone should not join the "coding force" just because they don't have a medical background. Didn't all of us start out with no medical background at some point? I understand how frustrating it can be to work with someone you don't see eye to eye with but I think everyone who has the heart and will to become a coder should be given a chance. With proper guidance, training, education, and time, some applicants with no experience may be excellent coders. Employers need to give people a chance, heavily monitor their work, weed out the bad and keep the good. My heart goes out to all of those who have posted their hardships, unable to land a coding job because they don't have any experience. Keep trying!!!
    Molly Shukis, CPC

Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by mshukis View Post
    I know from personal experience with a couple of different employers, some will hire with no experience and some make no exceptions to this requirement. You just have to keep applying. A positive, confident attitude, for those with no experience, may be what it takes to be given that first chance. With time and perseverance you will eventually get your foot in the door. I wish you all the best of luck, hold your heads high and don't give up if this is what you really want!

Do we have to be certified? Where are they located?

Quote Originally Posted by Sonjagirl View Post
    I sent my resume to every organization listed for this city, and I haven't heard from anyone. Also, I read the same complaint from another member who lives here. This is quite discouraging and sad.
    Sonjagirl,
    Click on the following link
    http://www.aapc.com/education/project-xtern-locate.aspx
    and search for a project around your city and state.
    Not all the time you will get paid, but, at least, you will gain the experience.
    And most of the time, if the employer likes you, they will hire you.
    Just be confident, have a positive attitute and work hard.
    Hope, this was helpfull
    CPC CCS
    "The true way to render ourselves happy is to love our work and find in it our pleasure."

Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by lmartirosyan View Post
    Sonjagirl,
    Click on the following link
    http://www.aapc.com/education/project-xtern-locate.aspx
    and search for a project around your city and state.
    Not all the time you will get paid, but, at least, you will gain the experience.
    And most of the time, if the employer likes you, they will hire you.
    Just be confident, have a positive attitute and work hard.
    Hope, this was helpfull
    Thanks, but the organizations that I sent my resume to were found in the Project X-tern arena. I'm thinking about volunteering in a big hospital as an administrative assistant to get my "foot in the door."
    Last edited by Sonjagirl; 09-09-2008 at 05:31 PM.

Cool
    Once again, comments from New Yorkers are needed regarding employment opportunities. Do you have a hard time finding a job with or without experience? If so, we need the encouragement. Things don't look bright for us in Los Angeles.

Unhappy
    About once every other month, I view this website called Biohealthmatics.com. It shows the medical coding jobs available in each state. The figures change but I don't know how often.

Things don't look bright throughout the United States, and California always have more coding jobs than the other states even though the figures are low like around 30.

Four years ago a classmate said to our teacher: “We don't see that many openings.” I agree because I didn't see many openings either. I'm wondering why do I see statements from the school's schedule of classes and websites saying that there is a demand for medical coders if this is the case?

Quote Originally Posted by Sonjagirl View Post
    Thanks, but the organizations that I sent my resume to were found in the Project X-tern arena. I'm thinking about volunteering in a big hospital as an administrative assitant to get my "foot in the door."
    Sonjagirl,
    Why don't you call and speak to someone? Back then, I did and the first person who I spoke to was willing to accept me through project xtern.
    Don't bother sending them your resume, just call them.
    Take 1 or 2 days off, dress professionaly and walk in to hospitals, clinics asking for a coding job. It is not easy to find the first job.
    I moved to NY 8 months ago from CA and was having difficulties finding a good, permanent job. Thank God, I did find my current job as a Clinical Coding Analyst. That's what I would do. I would walk into clinics and hospitals asking for a coding job.
    There is a famous saying, if you look for someting, you will find.
    Lilit
    CPC CCS
    "The true way to render ourselves happy is to love our work and find in it our pleasure."