Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

No Coding Jobs for inexperienced Coders

Cool
    Medical Coding Books
    Quote Originally Posted by lmartirosyan View Post
    Sonjagirl,
    Why don't you call and speak to someone? Back then, I did and the first person who I spoke to was willing to accept me through project xtern.
    Don't bother sending them your resume, just call them.
    Take 1 or 2 days off, dress professionaly and walk in to hospitals, clinics asking for a coding job. It is not easy to find the first job.
    I moved to NY 8 months ago from CA and was having difficulties finding a good, permanent job. Thank God, I did find my current job as a Clinical Coding Analyst. That's what I would do. I would walk into clinics and hospitals asking for a coding job.
    There is a famous saying, if you look for someting, you will find.
    Lilit
    I have followed through by calling hospitals or medical centers that have advertised an opening for medical receptionist, administrative assistant, or medical records, etc. I'm not certified yet. I'm scheduled to take the exam next month. It's not as if I don't have any work experience at all. It's just that I don't have any significant experience in the medical field.

Also, I just found out from John of AAPC that the X-tern facilities were bombarded with a lot of applicants who aren't certified yet. Now according to AAPC's website, it did state that if we were scheduled to take the exam, then it would be okay to contact these X-tern facilities by e-mail or phone, submitting resumes, etc. However, the rules have changed.

Now I can't even log onto these X-tern facilities until after I'm certified. Well, that's okay. That's just one less step I have to deal with for now.

I would move to New York, but I don't have relatives there and my friends aren't dependable. They say one thing and do another. I cannot afford to stay in a hotel or get an apartment unless I get my sister to move down there with me. Her situation is a lot better than mine. Since I've been laid off, I've been working part time.

I'm just glad Los Angeles is behind New York as far as jobs are concerned. Chicago is after Los Angeles--New York City, Los Angeles, and Chicago (in that order). Things could be worse for me. At least I'm surviving.

Thanks for your input.

2. Default
    I have an Associate Degree in Medical Insurance Billing and coding. I have been on numerous of job interview. But I don't have enough experience for a job. I have been certified since 2006. I passed the CPC test before i graduated from college. I was advised that it was easy to get a job and there are plenty of opening in medical billing and coding. I had my externship about 4 months ago. After going through many different challenges. I called my teacher from the college and got the help to do my externship. The AAPC or my local chapter were dead ends for me also. I live in Orlando and there isn't a externship site for the AAPC here. You must move away from Orlando to get lucky. I even change my address to a Jacksonville address and No one answered me either. So I am going to pray for a change and hope for success.
    Quote Originally Posted by ttsaunders1 View Post
    I have been searching for a coding job for over 5 years. I have an associate's degree in MOT and I am now a CPC. I am still searching for a job. I have done externship with an AAPC accredited company. Still there are no jobs available in my state for those with no experience. What can we do as a community to change this. I spoke with the president in my local chapter. She speaks as if we can not change the way things are. I believe that we can if we all pull together and work hard for what we believe in. I want to know is there anyone else out there that is having this same issue. I know of several other people in my area. Someone please help me to change this. I am not going to give up. Though at times I do get a little discouraged about this. I am 30 year old single mother of three and in dyer need of a job with a lasting career in the medical coding field. I have many other talents but they are not a challenge to me only this medical field is my biggest challenge. So if you hear me, feel me and understand me help me please! We are counting on helping hands and those of you who are having this same issue. To push this through all states around the world to give people that do not have experience to give them the opportunity to gain experiene with varies companies besides just dong volunteer work which is a great thing. But after you have taking that step where do you go from there. I have been faxing my resume, posting my resume and building my resume. I am not looking for a hand out just a breakthrough. I will work hard for what I believe in and this is something that I will work hard for to change. I just need people on y side and to help shjow me the way. Thanks
    Tanisha Saunders Atlanta, Georgia native. I can be contacted through email: ttsaunders1@bellsouth.net. DESPERATELY SEEKING FOR ANSWER

3. Default Tips on helping to find entry level coding jobs
    I am a fiver year certified coder now and I also did find it difficult at first to find my first job, maybe it was mostly luck, so not sure there but it has been straight up since then in pay and opportunities.

I recommend anyone trying to get started in coding to accept any related position in a medical office, the first choice being billing job, assuming you have some billing education. Billing will always help in your job as a coder and employers know this. Even a receptionist job can work into coding as long as you mention that is your goal. Also, if you can, consider relocating, which will really expand your options. Hope this helps, hang in there if this is what you want to do.

Debby H.

4. Thumbs up Reply to your cry for help
    [I understand what you are going through. Are you close to a military post. The only requirement is that you are certified. No expeience is necessary. You are trained on the job. Hope this helps. Keep doing what you are doing. Respectfully, Debera

QUOTE=ttsaunders1;8937]I have been searching for a coding job for over 5 years. I have an associate's degree in MOT and I am now a CPC. I am still searching for a job. I have done externship with an AAPC accredited company. Still there are no jobs available in my state for those with no experience. What can we do as a community to change this. I spoke with the president in my local chapter. She speaks as if we can not change the way things are. I believe that we can if we all pull together and work hard for what we believe in. I want to know is there anyone else out there that is having this same issue. I know of several other people in my area. Someone please help me to change this. I am not going to give up. Though at times I do get a little discouraged about this. I am 30 year old single mother of three and in dyer need of a job with a lasting career in the medical coding field. I have many other talents but they are not a challenge to me only this medical field is my biggest challenge. So if you hear me, feel me and understand me help me please! We are counting on helping hands and those of you who are having this same issue. To push this through all states around the world to give people that do not have experience to give them the opportunity to gain experiene with varies companies besides just dong volunteer work which is a great thing. But after you have taking that step where do you go from there. I have been faxing my resume, posting my resume and building my resume. I am not looking for a hand out just a breakthrough. I will work hard for what I believe in and this is something that I will work hard for to change. I just need people on y side and to help shjow me the way. Thanks
    Tanisha Saunders Atlanta, Georgia native. I can be contacted through email: ttsaunders1@bellsouth.net. DESPERATELY SEEKING FOR ANSWER[/QUOTE]

Cool
    debera,

Your information is not entirely correct. I worked as a contract coder at a military treatment facility and for our position we had to have three years experience along with certification. Some military coding may not require experience, but it is not across the board.

Machelle
    CPC, CPC-H, CPC-E/M

6. Default
    I am also going through the same thing here in Los Angeles, California. I have been certified for almost a year now, yet I have an A on my license for Apprentice. No company wants to hire me without the work experience, nor allow me to volunteer to gain experience. I have no idea what to do, but I am not going to give up. This is what I went to school for, and this is what I want my career to be.

7. Wink
    My main suggestion to all of you who have not been able to find coding positions is to network, network, network. I am all sure that most of you have heard "it is not what you know, but who you know." I know someone who works at a facility in Georgia in the coding department. She told me that if I ever move to Georgia, that she would help me get into her company. I am already in the HIM field,and just recently got my cpc; but I wholeheartedly believe that one of the best avenues to landing your first job is getting to know, and talking to as many people that you can: people at the chapter meetings, former instructers, etc. Also, another excellent way to land a coding positions is getting your foot in the door at any heathcare facility whether working as a receptionist, clerk, etc. and working your way into a coding position that way--Alot of places hire from within first. My coding position came about when my facility had an opening for coders under the upward mobility program where, after hire, you are formally trained; but this job was posted only for in-house employees. So, give it try!!

8. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by mmorningstarcpc View Post
    debera,

Your information is not entirely correct. I worked as a contract coder at a military treatment facility and for our position we had to have three years experience along with certification. Some military coding may not require experience, but it is not across the board.

Machelle
    CPC, CPC-H, CPC-E/M
    Debera,

I have to agree with Machelle. I worked as a contract coder and auditor at a MTF and we had to have at least 2 years experience along with the CPC certification. I would be interested to know what base and branch of the military you are talking about. It's a bit more difficult to get in with the military and they have their own guidelines for you to follow.
    ~Amy, CPC, CPMA, CEMC~
    Auditor/Consultant

Default military coding
    I think she is talking about coding for the goverment, not contract work. They only require a certification, it is up to the supervisor to determine if experience it requried or not. I used to hold a GS (government service) coding position in the military when it switched over from a contract. Our boss hired billers who had thier certification. Military coding is totally different from civilian, so it's takes a while to "switch gears" as it were. If you go to usajobs.gov you can do a job search. The pay is really good.

Cool
    Military coding is the same where I worked, and for the MTFs in the area, for contract or GS. Also, some MTF only have contract coders. You still have to have experience. It may vary from each individual MTF. I have a friend that is head of a large MTF coding program and her staff needs experience also. I think those people saying go to a MTF, you dont need experience...
    are giving false hope to people. Yes, I hope they can find something too, but I dont think military coding is an "across the board" answer for those with no experience.

Machelle
    CPC, CPC-H, CPC-E/M