AAPC - Back to school
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: No Coding Jobs for inexperienced Coders

St.Petersburg, Fl

AAPC: Back to School
    Vetonne....It seems like a vicious circle at times..also when you are searching for jobs make sure you search for medical record jobs. If you have an instructor that liked you and seen your potential ask them to write you a letter of recommendation, any little bit helps. I have an Associates in Science for billing and coding and just got my certification..keep trying.

Default Entry level positions

You may want to check back with some of your instructors. One of my instructors teaches a Billing & Insurance course but works out of a local hospital and happens to know someone from a temp agency. The friend asked her to send over her students and they'd love to put them to work!

In short, if your instructors also work at hospitals, clinics, etc they may know of openings in their offices (or offices near by) or may have networked with people that may be able to help you find a job.

Smile Response to Coding Jobs for inexperienced Coders

I am having the same problem and it is so frustrating. I live in Kentucky. I was told to write a letter to the newspaper explaining the situation.

I was also told to get a job at the hospital as a unit secretary or anything because they hire within first.

Well that's all I have to say for now. LOL to you and anyone else who is in this situation.

Sandy (Wilsan10@insightbb.com) you can write me anytime.
    Last edited by SMercil; 11-19-2008 at 07:24 PM. Reason: error

Quote Originally Posted by amolson1325 View Post
    Gail...I share in your frustration!!!!! Have you tried looking under "chart review"? I have seen more coding jobs under that heading that want nursing experience. Believe me, I'm the queen of job searching right now!!

What is so frustrating is that they don't even give you a chance! If they would just give an interview, at least they can really see who you are....a cover letter and resume can only say so much! Anyone else have any suggestions for us...just to get in the door at entry level, just to be given a chance??

I also want to thank Kelly, you always are there with suggestions and words of encouragement. I just want you to know it's greatly appreciated!!!
    Gail, I think most all new inexperience coders has had this same problem but let me tell you what worked for me. I just landed a coding non-certified position in Radiology. I took the CPC Exam November 15th and still waiting for results. I have been looking for 2yrs and my husband had a doctors appointment and the nurse asked him if they could do anything else for him, he answer her by saying yes you can give my wife a coding job. I was told to come in but when I got there the front manager blew me off and said she didn't have time to speak with me so I left my resume in a GREEN FOLDER
    with all my information. I gave her a week and a half and called back to ask her if she ever had the time to look at my resume. She ask me was it the one in the green folder and that she had it in her hand just to see what was in the folder. I had another interview with her that after noon. She was only hiring for a receptionist and felt my credential was to high for this position. I told her if she would give me a chance I would start at the bottom and prove to them I had the skills. She said she would get back with me that she thought of another place she knew that needed a coder and she would talk to that doctor and it would be closer to my home. The doctor she had talk to gave me a call and interviewed me yesterday,I GOT THE JOB!! My point is networking, I did not know this women from my husband doctors office but because I was so determine to just get in the back door word of mouth ended me a job. So my advise ask your family,friends or your on doctor office to check around for you and go door to door put your resume in instead of online. I did all of my resumes online for 2 yrs and did not get me anywhere. I think a lot of places don't even bother to put ads in the paper or online because as it was done for me it was networking or word of mouth. Also with my college I attended and graduated from for so many clocked hours of studies they give me a one year wavier of experience to add in and a letter of recommendation from my college guidance counselor. I don't know if you took any classes in coding but you could get this wavier from your school. I had 600 clocked hours and I think you only needed 80 not for sure on that. I'm a living proof it can happen. I don't know if you are religious or not but I put all my trust in God.In my believes we ask and we shall receive but in God's time not ours.Patience is the hardest thing to have but hang in there and your time will also come in your path. Good luck I hope some of what I've said will help give you hope.
    My prayers are with you,
    Karen Blevins

Have you applied at Kaiser Permente? Or apply and one of your local hospital, they usually have prn positions.

Unhappy You're not ALONE

You are not alone, I too have been beating the bushes for a job. I too have a degree and have certification, but can't seem to find a job anywhere. I am even willing to commute across state lines if I can get someone to let me in the door! My local chapter doesn't help either, nor did the school I attended which was supposed to help me find a job, especially since I passed the certification test.

Keep trying............

Who did you work for during those 4 months under the Xtern Program? Basically the Xtern project doesn't exist in Southern California. I've been trying since December 2008 to get into the so called Xtern Project. I've even tried the High Desert (Apple Valley, Redlands locations). I attend the chapter meetings which are no help. Every job requires experience. I have my CPC-A. I have spent a lot of time and money to get this. In order to go back to school and get my CCS I need a job to pay for it. I'm not alone. The AAPC should be honest with people at this time. Project Xtern does not exist and their new ad looks good but doesn't tell the truth for people in California.

Charleston, South Carolina

A suggestion may be to try to get an office to be a Project Extern site. When I worked in private practice, we had interns from our local college and we set this up because I knew of some people who needed sites. I went to this college and I actually did my internship at a hospital 80 miles away. Maybe you could approach some offices or facilities, explain the program to them and they may be willing to work with you. I would love to have some externs but my job now is consulting and not a good externship environment at this time. Good luck to you.
    Machelle Morningstar, CPC, COC, CEMC, COSC
    AHIMA Approved ICD-10-CM/PCS Trainer

Oil City

I am sorry you feel this way. So that you are aware of our efforts, we have called every single facility in the State of California making them aware of our coders, the AAPC, and Project Xtern. We are doing all that we can to get that word out there. We are working our way through all of the states and have dedicated numerous hours to this. We can not guarantee anyone an Xtern location and have never stated that we could.
    Rhonda Buckholtz, CPC, CPC-I, CGSC, COBGC, CEPDC, CENTC
    Vice President, ICD-10
    800-626-2633 ext 183
    Fax: 814-217-0447

Default I'm in the same boat.

Wow, Tanisha I feel your pain. I live in Hampton, VA. I've been doing data entry in a hospital for the past 8 years. I got an AAS degree in Health Information Technology last May. I've since gotten my CPC-A certification and I recently got my RHIT certification from AHIMA and it's definitely hard. I thought since I actually work at a hospital it would have been a little bit easier. That has not been the case for me. I'm a dedicated, hard-working employee. I don't have any coding experience and I don't want to lose all of the wonderful information that I've learned because of lack of use. I definitely understand where you are coming from. It definitely is not easy.