Page 1 of 25 1234567891011 ... LastLast

No Coding Jobs for inexperienced Coders

1. Post No Coding Jobs for inexperienced Coders
    Medical Coding Books
    I have been searching for a coding job for over 5 years. I have an associate's degree in MOT and I am now a CPC. I am still searching for a job. I have done externship with an AAPC accredited company. Still there are no jobs available in my state for those with no experience. What can we do as a community to change this. I spoke with the president in my local chapter. She speaks as if we can not change the way things are. I believe that we can if we all pull together and work hard for what we believe in. I want to know is there anyone else out there that is having this same issue. I know of several other people in my area. Someone please help me to change this. I am not going to give up. Though at times I do get a little discouraged about this. I am 30 year old single mother of three and in dyer need of a job with a lasting career in the medical coding field. I have many other talents but they are not a challenge to me only this medical field is my biggest challenge. So if you hear me, feel me and understand me help me please! We are counting on helping hands and those of you who are having this same issue. To push this through all states around the world to give people that do not have experience to give them the opportunity to gain experiene with varies companies besides just dong volunteer work which is a great thing. But after you have taking that step where do you go from there. I have been faxing my resume, posting my resume and building my resume. I am not looking for a hand out just a breakthrough. I will work hard for what I believe in and this is something that I will work hard for to change. I just need people on y side and to help shjow me the way. Thanks
    Tanisha Saunders Atlanta, Georgia native. I can be contacted through email: ttsaunders1@bellsouth.net. DESPERATELY SEEKING FOR ANSWER

2. Default something will come along
    I live in the Chicago area and the adds I see also want experience. The way I see it, you've got a few options. You could apply for jobs that are looking for experience and tell the interviewer about your education history and how well you did in school and on your test and how motivated you are and tell them that you know you will be a valuable asset to them if they give you the chance. You could apply as an entry-level medical receptionist and watch for and ask for coding-related responsibilities until you have enough to include on a resume. You could also change fields but you don't seem like a quitter. Good luck!

3. Unhappy Entry-level coding positon desired
    We're all in the same boat as graduates of coding programs and certified professions without work experience. I'm a fresh newbie - graduated last November and passed AHIMA's CCA exam on Jan. 11, 2008. I'm applying for anything and everything in the medical industry that I have a chance (or maybe not) of getting. The next AAPC externships in Louisville, KY, are scheduled for May. I'm trying for one of those, but I'm not sure how I'll support myself during the three months traineeship. It's hard to sustain a happy face and glorious optimism, but life goes on and we must stick together and try, try, try! Feel free to email at phogan@fastmail.fm
    With best regards, Pam Hogan

Default I know what you mean
    Hi
    I AM IN THE SAME SITUATION, I HAVE BEEN TRYIN TO FIND A JOB IN MEDICAL CODING AS WELL AND THE AREA WHERE I LIVE IT IS EVEN HARDER, BUT I HAVE HAD SOME OPPORTUNITIES, BUT OUT OF FEAR I GAVE UP, BUT I HAVE LEARNED FROM THAT. I ADMIRE YOUR ENDURANCE, AND BELIEVE ME IT IS GOING TO BE WORTH IT. I SEE THAT YOU HAVE SENT YOUR RESUME OUT, BUT HAVE YOU TRIED LOOKING UP YELLOWBOOK. COM AND FIND ALL OF THE CLINICS IN YOUR AREA AND MAIL OUT YOUR RESUME, I BELIEVE SOMETHING WILL TURN UP. SO KEEP HANGING IN THERE.

P.S. DON'T KNOW IF YOU ARE RELIGIOUS, BUT READ ROMANS 8:31

FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME: marty3073@hotmail.com

Default not so easy for experienced coders either.
    Just wanted you to know that it is not easy for experienced coders either! There are so many jobs but way more applicant's going for the same jobs. I have been billing/coding for 10 years now and I have been trying to get into more "coding" for a surgeon, or radiology.

I've been getting alot of calls/interviews but with so many "coders" being certified and looking for jobs it's just not an easy task.

I just wanted to share that info with you so that you know that your not alone and it's not easy all the way around.

I wish you luck,

Roxanne Thames, CPC

Quote Originally Posted by ttsaunders1 View Post
    I have been searching for a coding job for over 5 years. I have an associate's degree in MOT and I am now a CPC. I am still searching for a job. I have done externship with an AAPC accredited company. Still there are no jobs available in my state for those with no experience. What can we do as a community to change this. I spoke with the president in my local chapter. She speaks as if we can not change the way things are. I believe that we can if we all pull together and work hard for what we believe in. I want to know is there anyone else out there that is having this same issue. I know of several other people in my area. Someone please help me to change this. I am not going to give up. Though at times I do get a little discouraged about this. I am 30 year old single mother of three and in dyer need of a job with a lasting career in the medical coding field. I have many other talents but they are not a challenge to me only this medical field is my biggest challenge. So if you hear me, feel me and understand me help me please! We are counting on helping hands and those of you who are having this same issue. To push this through all states around the world to give people that do not have experience to give them the opportunity to gain experiene with varies companies besides just dong volunteer work which is a great thing. But after you have taking that step where do you go from there. I have been faxing my resume, posting my resume and building my resume. I am not looking for a hand out just a breakthrough. I will work hard for what I believe in and this is something that I will work hard for to change. I just need people on y side and to help shjow me the way. Thanks
    Tanisha Saunders Atlanta, Georgia native. I can be contacted through email: ttsaunders1@bellsouth.net. DESPERATELY SEEKING FOR ANSWER

Temp agencies are an awesome asset too, thats how I landed my coding job, then I moved 90 miles away and contacted the same temp agency and was placed within two weeks, both companies that I was hired by bought out the contract through the temp agency and hired me full time.

Good Luck

7. Default I love being a contract coder
    Experience is the key, possibly revamping that resume' will get you in the door so you can sell yourself, I have worked in this field for over 13 years, I began with an entry level clerical position and have been a traveling coder since July of last year. I LOVE IT! There are so many opportunities out there. Each assignment I've been on has offered me job opportunities but I like the temporary nature of things...kind of a test drive . I realize not everyone can leave home, some of these companies offer remote coding. If you can sell yourself and work hard you will succeed...I don't believe you'd be a coder if you couldn't. kwortmann@charter.net

8. Unhappy no jobs for inexperienced coders
    I too have been looking for a job and as a CPC-A it is discouraging when you hear or read that employers want you to have at least 2 years experience. I am an LPN and completed my certification in medical billing and coding with graduation this past Spring; as a nurse I have had experience in Oncology,Orthopaedic Surgical, Med. Surg. and Long term care (usually on a skilled unit due to prior hospital experience), I too have been feeling like throwing in the towel but then I think that somewhere this combined knowledge would be a great asset for some company and one day soon some one will realize it. My story along with the others on the page of no jobs for inexperienced coders tells me that something else needs to be done to change this waiting process. Gail Rogers LPN CPC-A

9. Smile
    Not sure how close any are located to you but the local VA hospitals will hire coders that have just graduated and will train you.

I know it is frustrating. I have 12 years of coding experience. Once I had my daughter I knew I wanted to stay home and opted to apply for remote coding positions only. Even with my experience and background it took me a full year to find a position.

Do not give up and stick with it.....
    Kelly Long CPC, CFE
    Manager Audit and Compliance

Quote Originally Posted by grogers View Post
    I too have been looking for a job and as a CPC-A it is discouraging when you hear or read that employers want you to have at least 2 years experience. I am an LPN and completed my certification in medical billing and coding with graduation this past Spring; as a nurse I have had experience in Oncology,Orthopaedic Surgical, Med. Surg. and Long term care (usually on a skilled unit due to prior hospital experience), I too have been feeling like throwing in the towel but then I think that somewhere this combined knowledge would be a great asset for some company and one day soon some one will realize it. My story along with the others on the page of no jobs for inexperienced coders tells me that something else needs to be done to change this waiting process. Gail Rogers LPN CPC-A
    Gail...I share in your frustration!!!!! Have you tried looking under "chart review"? I have seen more coding jobs under that heading that want nursing experience. Believe me, I'm the queen of job searching right now!!

What is so frustrating is that they don't even give you a chance! If they would just give an interview, at least they can really see who you are....a cover letter and resume can only say so much! Anyone else have any suggestions for us...just to get in the door at entry level, just to be given a chance??

I also want to thank Kelly, you always are there with suggestions and words of encouragement. I just want you to know it's greatly appreciated!!!
    Angie Olson, CPC

Page 1 of 25 1234567891011 ... LastLast