AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Need code for Psychiatric consultation

Default Need code for Psychiatric consultation

AAPC: Back to School
    Hi All,

I am very new to the psychiatric coding, please help me to code below document.

I have received document stating "Psychiatric consultation report"

document look like normal E/M document,

for History- cc, HPI, hx, ROS- has documented

for Exam- mental status exam was done(General appearence, speech, mood/affect, memory, sensorium/orientation, hallucination, language, homicidal & sucidal ideation, calculation ability, thought process, HEENT, musculo/skeltal)

lab studies had done.

Kindly advice what CPT code should be used for above document, however timing also not given.

Advance thanks to all,

Banu, CPC

Dover Seacoast New Hampshire

If your provider is a psychiatrist and not a psychologist, then you can code an E&M visits, but you would need to meet the criteria for a consultation in order to bill such a code. CPT has changes in 2010, but basically, request, opinion and report still apply. Based on what little information you've given, I can't suggest a level of service from an auditing perspective. Is there a detailed history documented? Problem focused exam? Without seeing the entire note, I can't recommend any code, sorry.

If your provider is a psychologist, you'll have to report a diagnostic interview, 90801
    Last edited by Pam Brooks; 02-04-2010 at 04:42 AM. Reason: mis-spelling.

Have you considered using 90801? Without seeing the documentation I can't say for sure. In my area of the country, the code can be used by Psychiatrist, Psychologist and LCSW's.

Smile ED coder

I also use 90801...as Sara...