Who is your carrier? Was it a consult or transfer of care?
For Medicare, I just sat thru a webinar from Highmark Medicare, stating that in obs you only use the outpatient E/Ms unless you are the provider that put them in obs (99201-99215). I am going to research this for other carriers though since this is the first I had heard of it.
For commercials, if you have a consult you would use the outpatient consult (99241-99245) for day 1 then established outpatient 99212-99215 for days 2 and 3. If it was a transfer of care you would use the correct outpatient E/M (99201-99215) for day 1 then the established outpatients for days 2 and 3.
Laura, CPC, CPMA, CEMC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join