Here's what CPT assistant has to say, but this does not qualify for multiple lobes, just bilateral.
Bilateral bronchial alveolar lavage
******CPT Assistant, January 2002 Page: 10 Category: Coding Consultation
Note from 3M:
As of January 1, 2010:
Â· 31622 has been revised to specify with cell washing, when performed.
My physician performed a flexible bronchoscopy with bilateral bronchial alveolar lavage (code 31624). Should modifier -50, Bilateral procedure,be appended to code 31624, or is 31624 an inherently bilateral procedure code?
From a coding perspective, the series of codes 31623 through 31656 describe unilateral procedures. To indicate that a procedure from this series was performed bilaterally, modifier -50, Bilateral procedure, should be appended to the appropriate code. Therefore, modifier -50 should be appended to code 31624 when bronchial alveolar lavage is performed bilaterally. Please note that code 31622, Bronchoscopy (rigid or flexible), diagnostic; with or without cell washing (separate procedure),is inherently bilateral, so it would not be appropriate to append modifier -50 to code 31622.
CPT Assistant*Â©*Copyright 1990-2009, American Medical Association. All rights reserved.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join