The CMS website has a policy article that addresses this - "Orthopedic Footwear". But bascially no, Medicare does not cover foot Orthotics (shoe and related modifications, inserts, and heel/sole replacements) unless it is an integral part of a brace and it is medically necessary for the proper functioning of the brace.
I was going to include the link on the CMS website, but I am unable to get anything to load on the CMS site this afternoon. Try searching under Coverage Determination for Orthopedic Footwear.
I hope this is helpful.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join