Read the guidelines and descriptions in CPT under Burns, Local Treatment CPT 16000-16030.
Documentation will need to be specific as to TBSA.
You say that burns to the digits were full-thickness. Usually requires Skin Grafting. But if no grafting done, still use the burn treatment codes above.
The second visit will be coded using the same set of CPT codes (depending on healing, you may or may not have the same TBSA).
Your first visit MAY merit an E/M with -25 modifier. But any subsequent visits will NOT - code either the burn care or the visit - not both.
Hope that helps.
F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join