The modifier 27 is intended ONLY for outpatient hospital facility coding, not for physician coding. Therefore, the use of modifier 27 on a physician claim would not be appropriate.
CPT typically allows only ONE E & M per doctor per day, however, stipulates that if the patient is seen more than once, the physician has the ability to "combine" the documentation and code a level of service appropriate with the documentation for both services.
Hope this helps.
Marsha Diamond, CPC, CPC-H, CCS
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join