AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Documentation of V58.69

Default Documentation of V58.69

AAPC: Back to School
    What documentation would you expect to see when using V58.69 - Long-term (current) use of other medications? Would you accept documentation of a lengthy list of medications? Or would you expect to see the length of time that the patients were on the medications?

I would seem to think there would have to be time documented. However, I have personally never seen a note where they didn't have it. For example, patient has been on prednisone for 6 months.... patient has been on Coumadin for two years... etc. I know those do not fall in the V58.69 but they are still basically the same codes, just more specific 5th digits. I hope that made sense.

Thank you very much.

Per Coding Clinic 4th Quarter 2002, There is no definition or time frame for long term. If a patient receives a drug on a regular basis and has multiple refills available for a prescription then it is appropriate to document long-term drug use. This documentation is at the discretion of the health care provider.
    Dawson Ballard, Jr., CPC, CEMC, CPMA, CCS-P, CPC-P
    Compliance Auditor

Similar Threads

1. V58.30 or v58.31?
    By second to none in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-11-2015, 11:08 AM
  2. Med check coding. V58.83-V58.69
    By LADY_SETSUNA_CJ in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-22-2013, 11:20 AM
  3. V58.69 - Just wondering, is there a list of medications