AAPC - Back to school

Thread: IV meds administered in office

Default IV meds administered in office

AAPC: Back to School
    I am really hoping for a lot of help and guidance on this topic

Our practice manager wants me to look into reimbursement and coverage for administering medications through IV here in our office(a family practice) instead of sending them to the hospital to have it performed. One example that he gave me was Reclast. I think I have found the HCPCS code of Q4095 but I am not sure which CPT code to use for the IV. I am thinking 96365 but I am not sure.

Do any of you offer this service in your office and if so how is reimbursement and what codes do you bill out??
    Thanks in advance!!

If IV infused, you would report 96365 (initial, up to 1 hour) drug administration, and J3488 for the Reclast/ Zometa. If IV infused for 15 minutes or less you would report 96374.

See full range of drug administration codes to assure that you're appropriately capturing the correct codes based on drug, route and infusion time.

Hope this helps,
    Anthony McCallum, CPC, CIRCC, CPC-I, CCS

Thanks Anthony! It does help!

Similar Threads

1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-04-2013, 08:42 AM
  2. Billing for Orally Administered Drug in Office
    By VernonS in forum Billing/Reimbursement
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-23-2011, 07:29 PM
  3. oral meds given in office
    By smuckers in forum Medical Coding General Discussion