AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Consultation vs E & M

Default Consultation vs E & M

AAPC: Back to School
    I have a patient who was referred to us by her PCP for Post Menopausal Bleeding. Our doctor did an exam & a endometrial biopsy. In addition to the biopsy, should I code E & M or 99243 consultation? In this case the PCP's office actually made the appointment & our Dr. corresponded back to the PCP so I am leaning towards the consultation code. In general, what is the rule for distinguishing between E & M and office consultations (99214-99244)? I know that if the visit is initiated by the patient we need to go with an E & M code. Other than that I am confused. Thanks!

Evansville Indiana

Default consult

Under the new CPT definition of consultation, if the patient is not Medicare, it would qualify as a consult, As long as your MD was asked for an opinion on the patient. You may want to read the CPT guidelines for consults in the 2010 book. (They changed the definition)

Similar Threads

1. Consultation vs E&M
    By drhoads in forum E/M
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-18-2012, 09:42 AM
  2. ICU Care & Inpatient consultation on same day
    By neha.bhatnagar in forum Modifiers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-05-2009, 07:29 AM
  3. ICU Care & Inpatient consultation on same day
    By neha.bhatnagar in forum E/M
    Replies: 2