AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Alchohol Injection and drainage catheter

Default Alchohol Injection and drainage catheter

AAPC: Back to School
    Can someone please help me? I am so confused. I was thinking 76080/49424 but I dont know about the alcohol injection. The report reads:

After obtaining informed consent the patient was placed on the angiography table in a supine position. Scout imaging of her abdomen demonstrates bilateral upper abdominal drainage catheters, which were placed in large hepatic cyst.

Contrast was injected into the right-sided tube, which demonstrated approximately 40cc residual cavity. No communication with biliary or bowel structures was identified. Given the size and current drainage from this catheter, sclerosis was repeated by injecting 40cc of 100% denatured alcohol. The patient was kept in the recovery area, and place in multiple positions to disperse the alcohol throughout the cyst cavity. After one hour the catheter was reattached to external drainage.
    Last edited by drobinson1; 02-16-2010 at 07:58 AM.

i'm thinking either an unlisted or maybe 20500 (A physician injects a sinus tract (a canal or passage leading to an abscess) with a therapeutic agent such as Betadine, to act as a chemical irritant or antibiotic to clear the infection in an abscess or a cyst. X-rays are reported separately.)

Thank you

Similar Threads

1. Drainage catheter removal
    By dani727 in forum Interventional Radiology
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-07-2014, 06:40 AM
  2. Peritoneal Catheter Placement for Drainage
    By conleyclan in forum General Surgery
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-18-2012, 01:11 PM
  3. Removal of a retroperitoneal abscess drainage catheter
    By raechelz in forum Interventional Radiology