AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Opinion on physicians supplying surgical cpt cpt codes

Default Opinion on physicians supplying surgical cpt cpt codes

AAPC: Back to School
    Need some opiniions. Is there an advantage of the surgeon (ortho) to supply the cpt codes? I had two that would give me the codes, but of course, I would still check for the unbundling issues and such. They knew what they did during the surgery. I have a new physician that doesn't. This is his first year out of residency. Should I have him to work up a "cheat sheet" for himself? I don't get the ops report and usually having to bill off the facesheet and try to read his small hand writing.

First of all there is no way I am coding a surgery without an operative report in front of me. I have my ortho docs tell me constantly they did a rotator cuff reconstruction, I read the op, 2 sutures in one tendon..... not reconstruction. He shouldn't make a cheat sheet he should get certified if he is coding his own stuff.

We have a new spine surgeon, 1st year out of residency, and he is very familiar with coding and gives me a list of the codes he wants and then I very carefully go over the Op note and verify that each procedure is done and adequately dictated. I would never code off of anything other than the Op note and having the surgeon give his code choices is a valuable tool. I highly recommend having a discussion with your new Doc to see if he could do this also. Then it's a team effort to catch everything that was done.

Thanks Plaidman. I totally agree with you. Maybe the cheat sheet wasn't the correct wording to use. He's all fresh and new and thinks a few words will do it. I just wish I could get him to write better on his dx for the superbills.