AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Arthroscopic revision of rotator cuff repair

Default Arthroscopic revision of rotator cuff repair

AAPC: Back to School
    Hi all.

A patient underwent a previous rotator cuff repair & now presents for a massive re-tear of the cuff. They are now doing an arthroscopic revision of that previous repair. Should the 29827code cover this revision? The surgeon wants to add -22 modifier for the "revision" (CPT doesnt have an arthroscopic revision code). Or would it be better to use the 29999 code. (If so, to what code shld I compare for RVU?)

Note talks about debriding previous sutures but also used previous anchors to anchor the new sutures on. It also says "cuff was able to be reduced to each anchor without difficulty". No documentation of any added time or effort.

I would appreciate any insight/direction. Thanks!
    Last edited by jnaa70; 03-21-2008 at 08:30 AM.

I use the -22 modifier making sure that my docs have documented the complexicity of the case in the op note.

thanks for replying! i was pondering over it over the weekend as well thought the same about making sure increased difficulty indicated in the op note. Appreciate it!

Similar Threads

1. Billing for Arthroscopic repair of Rotator cuff
    By Razia Asghar in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-04-2015, 09:21 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-08-2011, 02:50 PM
  3. Arthroscopic rotator cuff repair question
    By dollyleaf5 in forum Outpatient Facilities
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-11-2010, 12:31 PM
  4. Arthroscopic Rotator Cuff Tear Repair...
    By Partha in forum Orthopaedics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-20-2009, 10:42 AM
  5. Arthroscopic Rotator Cuff Repair x2
    By luckystoner13 in forum Orthopaedics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-05-2009, 01:52 PM