Results 1 to 6 of 6

Billing Telephone services Question??

  1. Default Billing Telephone services Question??
    Medical Coding Books
    I need some help on this one as soon as possible....

    I know there is the new codes for non-face-to-face E/M, 99441-99443, and it states that it is initiated by the patient, however, is there a code or a way to bill if the physician is off work due to medical reasons and they want to go over test results, follow up, etc. Has anyone ever experienced this before. I thought about using the NOC along with notes, but was not sure if there was another way of doing it.

    If that does not work, can I bill the 99211 with the nurse seeing the pt., as long as there is another Dr in the office.

    I am new at this coding stuff, but am always looking for ways to make a buck!!

    thanks for anyone that can help me out!!

  2. #2
    Chicago South East Illinois Chapter
    Lightbulb Physician Telephone Services
    Hi Missi

    There's three Physician Telephone call codes 99371, 99372 & 99373. Check them out....

    Dbryant, M.A.,CPC
    Last edited by dbryant; 03-22-2008 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Spelling

  3. Default
    Per 2008 CPT manual: 99371-99373 have been deleted. To report telephone evaluation and management services, see 99441-99443)

  4. Default
    thanks for the help, I am aware that I can use the 99441-99443, but the catch is that is has to be initiated by the patient and I was wanting to bill with the Dr initiating the phone call, that is why I thought of using the NOC. Not sure I can do it, but may bill one with documentation and see what happens.

  5. Default 99441-99443
    Did you ever get paid on this? or did you bill an NOC? Just curious, I have encountered the same situation and was trying to make a decision on this.

  6. Question Telephone Codes
    The CPT book says these codes are for established patients. Does anyone know if these can be used for new patients, too? We have a new patient that wants to talk to the doctor on the phone before she comes from out of state to see him. She said she would pay cash instead of billing the insurance. But can we bill her using these codes? If not are there any other codes that can be used?


Similar Threads

  1. E&M Telephone Services Reporting Question....
    By rginnis in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-19-2012, 12:28 PM
  2. Telephone services
    By jod867 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-18-2012, 10:13 AM
  3. Telephone Services/New Patient
    By skeeley in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-02-2012, 12:58 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-05-2011, 07:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Enjoying Our Forums?

AAPC forums are a benefit of membership. Joining AAPC grants you unlimited access, allowing you to post questions and participate with our community of over 150,000 professionals.

Join Now Continue Reading Without Full Access

Already a Member?


Close Message

In addition to full participation on AAPC forums, as a member you will be able to:

  • Access to the largest healthcare job database in the world.
  • Join over 150,000 members of the healthcare network in the world.
  • Be a part of an industry leading organization that drives the business side of healthcare.
  • Save anywhere from 10%-50% with exclusive member discounts on courses, books, study materials, and conferences.
  • Access to discounts at hundreds of restaurants, travel destinations, retail stores, and service providers. AAPC members also have opportunities to save on heath, life, and liability insurance.
  • Become a member of a local chapter and attend regular meetings.