Are you coding for a pathology lab or the referring physician? If you are at the patholgoy lab, you need to use the reason the pathology was requested. The referring physician will either use signs/symptoms or V76.51 "Special Screening For Malignant Neoplasms Of Colon". It is appropriate to use the codes that they order with if the specimen comes back normal.
If you are coding for the referring physician's office, you will need to use the signs/symptoms or screening dx as the final diagnosis as well. I hope that helps.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join