AAPC - Back to school
Page 16 of 36 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Takken the CPC exam? How many passed the 1st try?

Default Taken the CPC exam?

AAPC: Back to School
    Dear Deltagirl:
    I had to take the exam two times to pass! What the first exam taught me was that I needed to manage my time better and not second guess my answers. I understand how to use the ICD-9, CPT & HCPCS books but using them in the time frame the set was difficult for me. That is definitely my personality type - I'm very system oriented. In other words, I'm most comfortable starting at question 1 and working my way through all of them. After I received by score I needed to focus on working the easy questions first and leaving the harder ones for later. I also had to remember to leave my answers and move on to the next question.
    I certainly hope that you pass on the first try, but if you don't you will be able to use the experience to your advantage and succeed on the second try! My fingers, toes and eyes are crossed for you.
    Good Luck!

How was it graded was each section graded together or were the three sections graded seperate. Did you have to pass each section by 70%?

I passed on my first try. I will be taking my CCS exam in June.

Angry I failed with a 69% now what?

I just recieved my score and am really upset that I failed! I am feeling so disappointed in my self! The next available test for me to take isn't until September so I have alot of time to study, however, I dont feel like studying the same things will get me different results. Does anyone recommend one study exam over another? There are so many out there. I put myself through online school, so I feel like I have basically taught myself, with no experience I am wondering if I should get some experience under my belt before taking the exam again as an apprentice or if I should just study study study! Failing my first attempt at CPC has really put a wrench in my plans, I feel lost and so discouraged, I sure hope I haven't wasted 2 years of my life!

Smile It is a hard test

I agree with the cried all the way home after the test. I too thought is was hard and was sure I didn't pass. But then one day that big white enveolpe showed up in the mail I had passed. Don't worry you did fine.

Smile Kll

Has anyone taken the CPC exam and passed and then went on to take the CCS exam? Just wanted to get some insight on how much harder it is than the CPC exam. Also what would you recommend for study guides to prepare for the test?

Los Alamitos CA

i passed both CPC and CCS on 1 try.. i can tell you on the CCS test there are 2 parts, 1 is multi choices, 2nd part is coding cases. The difference between the 2 test is CPC is all multi choices and the CCS had questions on drugs and DRG (which im still not familiar with) I havent used my CCS to get a job yet, no one will hire without inpatient experience, im still trying to get in the door..

CPC exam i went to a review class which really help me alot, it taught me the process of elimination which speed up my time on the test i had 45 mins left to go over what i missed or guessed on, dont leave any blanks. AAPC have links for review classes your area. Good Luck..

CCS exam i used CCS review guide and Faye Brown with answers, worked on all the cases in both books..
    Last edited by zanalee; 05-20-2011 at 10:17 PM.

Red face

I passed the first time. Good luck to you

I also passed on my first try. I took a coding course at a local community college but had no coding experience. I got a good score on the test, but when I left the room after the test I was a wreck and very unsure. I thought the test was hard!
    Think positive and if you don't pass the first time, Don't Give Up!!! You can do it!!!

Milwaukee WI

Default What is the usefulness of this thread?

I'm sorry, but I just don't get it. This thread was started over a year ago. Of what use is it?

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC