Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Takken the CPC exam? How many passed the 1st try?

1. Default
    Medical Coding Books
    Quote Originally Posted by deltagirl View Post
    I took the CPC exam this past Saturday and now starts the LONG waiting process. I have no idea how I did on this test and I started to wonder. How many coders pass the test the first try; I've heard somewhere in the neighborhood of 40-45%. That's scary. So tell me... how many times did it take you to pass.
    Thanks,
    ~Davis
    i passed the first time w/a 70. The time makes it harder than usual. I did opposite of everyone else as I did the long scenarios 1st and easy stuff last because when I get tired-I get frustrated & wont do well & I cant think straight and I dont do well w/long tests...I didnt want to rush through reading the long scenarios ...do the practice exam and see which way works for you...

2. Thumbs up
    I want to know why it costs so much to become a certified coder and the pay doesnt equal that at all...From the classes,to the exam,to the ceus-some u pay for and the seminars u pay for to get the ceus...It's unreal..Is there a way to work on your on coding at home? How is that done?

Good luck to those still taking the exam !!!

3. Default Shawn
    it took me only the one time but it was HARD
    Shawn Dyson CPC-A

I passed Didn't think I was going to

Wink
    Quote Originally Posted by kd289 View Post
    I want to know why it costs so much to become a certified coder and the pay doesnt equal that at all...From the classes,to the exam,to the ceus-some u pay for and the seminars u pay for to get the ceus...It's unreal..Is there a way to work on your on coding at home? How is that done?

Good luck to those still taking the exam !!!
    I understand your frustration. The pay can be very low at first, but it's w/ experiance that the pay increases. In order to get my first coding job I had to agree to a salary that was only $2 above min. wage, and I had to agree to take and pass my CPC exam with in one year, and no they didn't help me cover the cost. I depended on the free CEUs and local chapter meetings. With the coding edge tests and the ege blast tests (which no longer give CEUs) and local chapter meetings, I had more than enough CEUs and they only cost me $24 (fee for local chapter dues). The web is an invalubale learning tool as well. Start googling different procedures from your CPT books and you will learn a lot.
    I was unemployed for three years and managed to find a way to get my CEUs (free to low cost less than $100) and keep my credential. So the cheaper way is out there. Also too, I've been in the field for almost 10yrs now and my pay has gone up significatly. I live in one of the worst paid places in Florida and I'm doing well. So don't be discouraged at the pay rates your finding just starting out. It gets better as you do

Hmm I am going to answer this one for two people.

Me I sat for my CPC passed the first time out, got my results the week after the exam.

My mother sat for her CPC, back when it took 6 weeks to get your results and it was a Pass Fail exam, she got hers in two weeks and passed first time out. She also sat for her CPC-H and................................. OH YEA nailed it first time out.

I agree its got all to do with test prep. I didn't take any classes nor did my mother. My mother took the CPC exam with no test prep just used her knowledge base, 15 years worth at the time. Me I used an old test prep study guide and an advanced guide with more reports in it to read. For her CPC-H my mother got the hospital study guide worked with it for about three days and passed at that time she had 20 years of experience.

So its a good combination of test prep and your actual experience.

7. Default Studying For Exam!
    Would love to have any feedback on what is the best study material for the Exam! I take the exam Nov 2011 and am soo nervous but want to make sure I am syudying what I need to study so any input would be nice ! Thanks!

8. Smile
    I passed it the first try, but again I took the PMCC course through Wisconsin Medical Society back in 2007 and had 2+ years of coding in orthopedics by that time. Good luck it can be done, just prepare.

9. Default
    I passed it the 1st time. I was nervous too. I'm sure you did fine. My test was 80% cpt coding, 15% icd9 coding & the rest terminology.

Everyone that was there testing had failed it the 1st time. How comfortable were you with the coding section? Just remember the cut score. Focus on that.

I passed the first time..most agonizing time of my life! I had previously gone through a billing/coding course at a tech school 4 years prior, passed their test yet no one would hire unless I was CPC certified. I have been working in billing and coding for 10+ years so very familiar with everything. Bought the prep exam from AAPC and worked on those prior to actual test which were very beneficial. So yes, it's all about the prep work....... Good luck!