AAPC - Back to school
Page 9 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Takken the CPC exam? How many passed the 1st try?

Sarasota FL

Default Exam books

AAPC: Back to School
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasgail View Post
    I am taking the CPC on June 19th and would like to know if anyone still uses Carol buck CPC and CCS exam books? In school most of our books were by Buck and wanted to know if the questions are based on The Buck books? Thanks
    The CCS exam book is completely irrelevent. I wonder who told you to use it for the CPC exam. CCS is purely hospital coding, not physician coding. The step-by-step coding book is a good book to use for the CPC. In fact, the CPC study guide is basically a condensed version of step-by-step.

Post Anesthesia Specialty Exam

Has anyone recently taken the Anesthesia/Pain Mnt Specialty Exam?
    Im wondering how much of it is Anatomy, E/M, Anes Coding etc.
    I have many yrs of experience coding for Anesthesia so Im not too worried about that part and I am doing the online course through the AAPC but for some reason Im thinking this exam is way more involved than just anesthesia coding.
    Im a bit nervous with E/M coding because we dont do as much billing for that.
    I am comfortable with anatomy but would like to know how involved that part of the test is?

I have plenty of time to study but would appreciate any extra advice. It seems so many people dont pass these exams so Im getting nervous all of a sudden.

Also, are the specialty exams harder than the regular CPC exams? Id like to eventually have both credentials.

I passed the first time too. I had only a few months coding, but had just finished 18 months of schooling. I also studied hard! I thought the test was
    not as hard as I'd expected. Good luck!

Default CPC Certification Prep

Has anyone done the CPC Boot-Camp from www.cert.com? Is this company affiliated with the AAPC? I called AAPC and they said they highly recommend the boot-camps from cert.com. I would like to know if it's worth the money to take this boot camp to prepare for the CPC. Also, is there are CPC certification review book that you would recommend for extra review before taking the test?

I passed my first time. I had 7 years of coding experience and did not do any sort of schooling. The test was a challenge, and I passed with an 87 with only 20 minutes of extra time left for the test. Now I understand they allow you more time for the exam. Good luck, think positive!!!

Olympia, WA

I passed the first time with an 80%, but went through 8 months of school and worked for 6 months before finally getting up the courage to get it over with., and i also got done about an hour early...everyone was looking at me like i was crazy!! Just make sure you are completely prepared and ready, or it will be a waste of time...good luck to you!! BTW-it only took me a week to find out the results

Default CPC Prep

I passed the first time. The test itself was not as hard as I thought it was going to be. I was more stressed out about the time constraint.

I passed the first time with a 72 on my CPC-H. I didnt use any study guides, just the CPC practice exams, and reviewed the guidelines in my CPT, ICD-9, HCPCS coding books. My problem was the IPPS and reimbursement methodology questions that were NOT on the CPC practice exams. So I was thankful to still pass without knowing the answers to those questions. I already work in the hospital, so I had an idea of what those answers were but not the exact answer. So dont give up, and focus on time management.

Galveston, Texas

Default First Time Passer, as of today

I passed the first time too, with only my coding education, self-study, and no on-the-job experience or boot camps. I felt the test was very grueling and by the 3 1/2 hour mark, my brain was quickly becoming mush to where I was spending quite a bit of time looking up every answer. I still finished with about an hour to spare and thankfully, I learned today that I passed.

Next up: to find a job. Good luck.

Jill CPC-A

I passed the 1st time with a 78 right out of school. It was the most stressful thing I have done. Unfortunately getting a job still requires experiance and there doesn't seen to be anyone out there willing to give me a chance. Good luck to you