99221, 99222 and 99223 can only be used by the doctor that admits the patient into the hospital. If the patient has Medicare or a form of Medicare you can't use the consultation codes any longer for them. The CPT states that if your doc did not admit the patient to use the subsequent hospital visit codes. So if your patient has Medicare or a form of Medicare, you will need to use the subsequent hospital visit code set. Make sure to add a -25 modifer since they are being seen by more than one doc on the same date.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join