Exc Abcess from scrotum, deep,at a ASC Facility
I have tried to post a couple of times and it failed. Kind of new at this. So, please overlook typo's for this is going to be a rush job, been on here for awhile now.
Ok, we have been getting rejections from the ins using 55899 unlisted code for Excision of a abcess from the scrotum area, which was deep, deep, and it was sutured closed. (was not left open to drain)
Now, going by the AMA rules, if lesion is deeper than subcutaneous/etc use the Musculoskeletal area, but keep in the coding in the Anatomic area. (AMA CPT ASSISTANT Aug. 2006 volume 16, issue 8)
Now going into the male genital area in the CPT book there is 55150 but this is resection of the scrotum, not removal the scrotum in anyway partial/complete.
So, too deep to use the Integumentary System area. There isn't a code in the Male genital system area that suits this.
This is how we came up with using 55899.
Now coding it this way and sending the op notes, even did a appeal with other info attached, it is still getting rejected. Now, they did state there is a proper code for this, and that is my question,......
Does anyone know of a code that would better suit this?
PLease feel free to help me in any kind of way.
- Exam Preparation
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Software / Digital
- Code Lookup (AAPC Coder)
- Practicode (online coding simulation)
- E/M Analyzer
- CPT RVU Calculator
- Health Plan Search (Provider Policies)
- Book Store
- Log In / Join