AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Clarification on the use of 36000

Default Clarification on the use of 36000

AAPC: Back to School
    Any Radiology experts out there today? We are an oncology center (but basically just a really large physicians office) with our own CT and PET equipment. We do not typically bill for the IV start (36000) but our lead tech has spoken with others in the same field who say they are. We are billing for the scans and contrast used, just not the IV placement. Are we missing something?

I'm of the opinion that we are correct since the description of 36000 states that the physician is doing the IV placement, which is not the case in our practice. Also, the "others" that our lead tech is talking to work in free standing Radiology centers so I'm sure their guidelines differ from ours.

Default 36000

We are not billing 36000 as it is a component of the procedure described "with contrast material".

Default Thanks

That's my feeling on it as well, after finding an ACR Q&A that talked about it.

Similar Threads

1. 36000 with modifier 59
    By 08pancho in forum Emergency Department
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-27-2015, 07:36 AM
  2. 36000 with 99195?
    By hsmith67 in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-30-2014, 03:17 PM
  3. 36000 vs 36410
    By lacygallozzi@hotmail.com in forum Emergency Department
    Replies: 0