AAPC - Back to school

Thread: HPV and Counseling

Default HPV and Counseling

AAPC: Back to School
    I have asked this question before, but it just keeps circling like a shark.

We are providing the HPV vaccine to young girls at my clinics. With this vaccine of course comes counseling on the HPV vaccine, why it is being given, the need to follow-up with the patient's provider for routine screenings for HPV and other STDs, causes of HPV and other STDs, prevention of HPV and other STDs, etc.

Here is my question....would you report a preventative counseling E/M code such as 99401 along with the vaccine codes with this? I'm on the fence here because I see this as all being a part of the vaccine and inclusive of the vaccine codes, but my providers are saying that because they are briefly talking about prevention of other STDs apart of HPV, the preventative counseling code is justified.

Opinions please?
    Dawson Ballard, Jr., CPC, CEMC, CPMA, CCS-P, CPC-P
    Compliance Auditor

Columbia, MO

I kind of agree with you on this but then again it may also depend on the quality of the documentation. JMO

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

My problem here is that I don't really see anything addtional being addressed here outside of the vaccine.
    Dawson Ballard, Jr., CPC, CEMC, CPMA, CCS-P, CPC-P
    Compliance Auditor

Similar Threads

1. Hpv
    By tmr1965 in forum Family Practice
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-29-2015, 06:33 AM
  2. Hpv
    By chewri in forum OB/GYN
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-13-2014, 11:24 AM
  3. HPV test Only