AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Charging for outside audits

Default Charging for outside audits

AAPC: Back to School
    We receive requests from MedAssurant to come to our facility and do "quality control" chart audits. They are a contracted company being used by one the insurance companies that we have a contract with. We either have to fax records or they come to our facility at least once a month looking at anywhere from 10 to 20 charts each time. This is very time consuming. We received a message from another forum that stated we can charge MedAssurant a fee per chart. I'm not sure if this is correct. We have looked at the contract from the insurance company and don't see any language that says we can or cannot do this. In fact, no where in our contract does it state that this insurance company will be hiring out their audit process. We don't even receive feedback from these "quality control" audits. Can we charge for chart audits being done by an outside hired company? Hope this makes sense..

Default MedAssurant chart audits

I used to work for MedAssurant (in 2007) and they are contracted by insurance plans to do their CMS chart audits for them. I remember that there were some practices/hospitals who did charge a fee for the records, but I dont know the process they went through and I dont recall if MedAssurant paid or if they forwarded the cost on to the health plans.

I suppose the best thing to do is contact the plan and ask them.

Default audits

Can you tell me about your experience working for MedAssurant and why you no longer work for them. There has been alot of buzz about them, I am really interested. Working remote is desirable considering these gas prices.